Airport Extreme and 5GHz

Veil

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Howdy

I'm getting really frustrated here, setting up a 802.11n 5GHz connection to my AEBS from Leopard. It worked fine previously, until I was prompted with a new update for the AEBS, and I installed it.

I reset the whole AE after a while, and these are my settings now.
- Wireless in 802.11n 5GHz mode with a WPA2 Personal password.

In Leopard I see the network, and when I connect, it asks for a password. I'm sure I enter the correct password, although it says it's invalid. If I make the connection manually in Network Preferences, same thing.

Here's the strange thing. When I connect my cable, get back into the Airport Utility and change 5GHz back to 2.4GHz, leaving the WPA2 Personal password the same, it works! As soon as I set it back to 5GHz, the password is apparently invalid.

I can't wrap my head around this. I've been at this for 3 hours now, and it just won't work. Any ideas or tips are much appreciated!

Edit: I'm sure the 5GHz thingy works with my MacBook. When I remove the password completely, and set it to 802.11n 5GHz, it connects perfectly. As soon as I enter a password, Leopard says it's invalid. Aah!

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
We have this same problem at our office. Bought an Airport Extreme. Have 5 MacBook Pros in the office, all with Leopard (10.5.1). If the AEBS is set to 5GHz 802.11n, none of us can connect. 5GHz a/n works (but I think it is connecting as a, as speed is not as fast as n). 2.4GHz connects fine.

Has anyone with this problem found a solution?

Jamie

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
Just as a data point, I'm able to run 5 GHz, n-only, WPA2 without a problem. I'm using a Macbook Pro (was working with 10.4, now on 10.5) and a refurbed Apple TV. My base station is the original version without gigabit, on firmware 7.1.1 (I had problems with 7.2.1 and downgraded).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.