Airport extreme and encrypted hd

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lucky555, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Lucky555 macrumors newbie

Hello, i recently got the airport extreme the newest version and i wanted to connect my external hard drive. However i had formatted the drive in journaled encrypted so the airport extreme couldn't see it when it was plugged in..So i formatted my hard drive again in journaled. everything works perfectly fine now and the other users have to type the ''disk password'' to access my hard drive but what if someone just unplug the hard drive from the airpot and plug it in any pc...he could see all my data...is there any way to encrypt my hard drive so it will ask for password anytime someone will try to gain access? thank you

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I can't think of a way to encrypt an entire drive in a way that would work attached to the network like you have it setup.

What you could do though is use Disk Utility to make an encrypted sparse bundle on the networked drive and put a shortcut to that in the Finder sidebar. Then you would need to enter a PW each time to open the disk image. So if somebody disconnected the drive and mounted it on another machine all they would see is the encrypted image and they would have no way to open it and view your data.