Airport Extreme and Express, a couple questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by L T, Dec 4, 2013.

1. L T macrumors 6502

L T

I have these 2 little beauties arriving tomorrow and I just wanted to get a few things ironed out to hopefully have a smooth transition tomorrow when I set up.

My Airport Extreme will have to be connected to my existing Sky router via an ethernet cable and I will set it up to extend the current network. That's right yeah?

So I will connect to the extreme instead of my sky router with my devices.

Then the express will be upstairs and will pick up the wifi from the extreme and push it on.

Questions

Do I connect to the express as if it was another router? So when I go downstairs I will have to change my connection to the extreme?

Linked to that one, Will the express and extreme appear as different connections when I search for wifi?

Thanks

2. bristolgadget macrumors newbie

The airport utility on mac/windows/iphone/ipad will make this a doddle for you.

If you want to use the extreme and the express, then yes, you connect either the extreme or the express (either one is ok to create the network) to the sky router and create a NEW network.

You can then extend this NEW network you have created by configuring your other extreme or express to EXTEND the NEW network.

This NEW network will then appear as one network wherever available, you wont see it as a different one whether you are upstairs or downstairs.

i would also turn off the wifi on your sky router to reduce interference and confusion.

3. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

Excellent, all set up and working beautifully!

Has improved my wifi speeds!

One question, how do I turn off the wifi signal from my sky router?

4. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Sounds like you've probably created 2 networks, and can probably still connect to the sky router? I'd be looking to switch the sky box into 'modem only' mode and let the Apple devices manage everything else.

Running like that, the Extreme needs to be set-up to create a network (not extend) and the Express set-up to wirelessly extend the Extreme network.

I've got the same set-up, but with a Virgin Media router working just as a modem, and it works like a dream :D

5. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

I've set the extreme up to create a new network, and then the express up to extend the extreme network

Just need to sort the sky router out and I have no idea how!

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Connect to your sky wifi

Open up your browser and type in

http://192.168.0.1

Username is admin

password is sky

There is page there somewhere to turn off the wifi. I cannot remember where it is exactly.

Apparently this will get you there directly, but I have not confirmed it myself

http://192.168.0.1/sky_wireless_onoff.html

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Can you access the device through a web page interface ? If there a model number that you can google ? Most of these dual devices have a Router control page that allows you to turn off DHCP/NAT as well as the WiFi.

There you go - theSeb beat me to it.

IMO make sure AE#1 is setup to provide DHCP before you turn off the Sky DHCP otherwise when you reboot everything there will be nothing to manage the network connections.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I just realised that I should have mentioned it's better to connect via an Ethernet cable to the router when making changes like switching off the wifi. :cool: