AirPort Extreme and Express - Backup settings?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by silverjam, Jul 8, 2012.

1. silverjam macrumors regular

I have the current AA Extreme and Express. Does any one know how to back up the settings? In particular the Extreme. Highlighting the AAE and clicking file shows the "export configuration files" option is greyed out.

Any suggestions?

Silver.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have to double click on the Airport device so that its configuration loads, then click on Export Configuration File.

3. silverjam thread starter macrumors regular

Still greyed out I'm sorry even after that option. It's greyed out on all my Macs including Wifi and Ethernet connected Macs. I have current AAE's (Extreme and Express with all up to date firm ware and AA App. It's puzzling to me.

Silver

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It shouldn't be grayed out. You're double clicking on the Airport Base Station as if you want to edit its configuration then selecting Export Configuration File? What version of Mac OS X are you using and which version of Airport Utility are you using?

5. silverjam thread starter macrumors regular

Got it! I understand.... I need to click the Edit part (Edit Button) of the app then it is not greyed out. Thanks. I was highlighting the AirPort device only. I can back up now.

Having said that.... Double clicking does nothing for me. I single click on the AirPort Device then click Edit. I am using AirPort Utility 6.1 and OSX 10.7.4. Perhaps it is because I have both Extreme and Express (two devices) as options?

Much appreciated anyway.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just tried this on my machine and here is what I did.

Start Airport Utility and wait a sec for it find the device(s). Single click on the device you want and a pop out will appear with name IP address etc for the device. Single click the edit button at the bottom right of that pop out. A new settings window will come up. Now go to the File menu up in the Airport Utility menu bar and click Export Configuration in that menu. You will get a popup asking you to name and save the file.