Airport Extreme and Express Networking

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JimmyDThing, Mar 19, 2008.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

I currently have an AEBS Gigabit version (with all of it's issues). I'm debating starting to build up an entertainment center... I'm going to start with audio and maybe make my last piece the TV... but that is neither here nor there.

What I want to do is have my AEBS supply my wireless-n devices so I can have it in n-only 5GHz mode... and then buy a Airport Express G version when it goes on sale and use that for AirTunes and for my G devices (mainly Wii and my girlfriend has a laptop for work that she rarely uses but is G). Is this possible?

Can I have this setup?

modem --> AEBS --> MacBook --> Airport Express

And then have Airport Express to use for AirTunes and also broadcast G to my Wii and my girlfriends laptop? I don't even know if you can do that.

Or... should I get the new N Airport Express and do this:

modem --> AEBS --> all n-devices (including Airport Express)

And then have Airport Express broadcast in G to the other devices?

I guess what I'm trying to do is have an all n network and use the Express not only for AirTunes but also to broadcast in G.

2. kolax macrumors G3

If any G devices connect to the N network (assuming you have it on G compatibility) then all network speeds drop to G.

If the Airport Express is meant for your 'G' devices, then connect it to your Airport Extreme by LAN connection and make it a separate router (rather than extending your network). That way any devices that are N you can connect to the Airport Extreme and get full speed network speeds, where as any devices that are G can connect to the Airport Express and not cause any slow downs in the N network.

Might not be as convenient if you want the Airport Express to be near speakers rather than the Airport Extreme.

Just my idea though, others might have better ideas.