Airport extreme and express on same network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nemacman, Feb 15, 2009.

1. nemacman macrumors newbie

I already have an airport extreme to go along with my new alum macbook. But my wife's pc laptop and my iphone are only G wireless and not N so when they are in use it slows the network way down. If I bought an airport express could I link them together on the same network (to share printer and HD on the extreme) and have one handle the N traffic and one handle the G traffic?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You sure can. I have the same set up. MacBook on AEBS 'n' network. I have the AE 'g' plugged into the AEBS and set up a second network in bridge mode.

3. nemacman thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you do it wirelessly, have them in different rooms?

4. vorkorsigan macrumors member

I think you have them connected via cable to have them on different wireless standards. I have this set up, AEBS on 5gz, a & n (for MBP & a sony) and AE on 2.4, g for ipod touch and guests. They are connected via ethernet.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As far as I know, it has to be hard wired, otherwise, it won't have a connection to you router. That limitation is causing me headaches (I want to use Airtunes in another room and tuck a printer away in a cabinet) so I think I'm going to get a second express to extend that network.

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

Why not setup WDS? Works for me.

7. nemacman thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Trip.Tucker Guest

No. Wireless Distributed Network. It's built into the Apple wireless stations. I have my express handling G traffic and the Extreme is handling my N traffic. Same network, same subnet.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not familiar with WDS. Will definitely look into it. Thanks.