Airport Extreme and External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdusoccer12, Nov 28, 2009.

1. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

I decided to get a Airport Extreme Base Station for myself and I was wondering what is the best external hard drive for the money. My Macbook Pro has a 320GB hard drive so how much space will I need and should it have firewire that I could hook up to my Macbook Pro when it is charging because otherwise it will be connected to my Airport Extreme. I will also need a USB hub that will work because I will also have my printer connected to the Extreme.

Thanks

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Are you using it for Time Machine/Time Capsule?

3. jdusoccer12 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I will use it mostly for Time Machine I don't have a need for a networked drive all I have is my MBP and my parents use the Dell desktop

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well nowadays big hard drives (1TB~2TB) are pretty cheap so u should get one. You can get any USB hub for it, I prefer non-powered however since they are small.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

When I got my Airport Extreme I wanted a 1TB hard drive, but when Apple dropped the 500GB Time Capsule and the 1TB became $299.99 it was almost the same price buying the Airport Extreme and an external hard drive.
    The Airport Extreme it self is $179.00 and a decent 1TB hard drive is $100-130.00, so basically the same price as the 1TB Time Capsule.
    A few reasons I went with the Time Capsule is space, and I don't need a USB hub either.
    I have the 1TB Time Capsule and it backs up 2 Macs, 1 with a 250GB hard drive and a 160GB hard drive and no problems.
    If you got your Airport Extreme not to long ago, you can probably exchange it.

6. jdusoccer12 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone I decided to go with a 1 TB hard drive but which one will go nicely with the AE and look nice?

I actually haven't got the AE yet it is coming tuesday. I decided to get them separately for three reasons, I didn't but the AE it is a Christmas gift from my parents (I could barely get them to spend $170 no way was I going to get $300), if one goes bad it won't cost me as much, and the AE might travel with me and I don't want to risk hard drive failure.

7. jdusoccer12 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I have it narrowed down to two different drives the

Western Digital 1TB My Book for Mac $129
    and
    Iomega 1TB MiniMax Hard Drive FireWire/USB $159

The only difference is that the Iomega is stackable with my AE and I has a USB hub built in so I can connect my printer to it but I like the cheaper price so could you guys help please!