Airport Extreme and External Hard Drive

jdusoccer12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
I decided to get a Airport Extreme Base Station for myself and I was wondering what is the best external hard drive for the money. My Macbook Pro has a 320GB hard drive so how much space will I need and should it have firewire that I could hook up to my Macbook Pro when it is charging because otherwise it will be connected to my Airport Extreme. I will also need a USB hub that will work because I will also have my printer connected to the Extreme.

Thanks

jdusoccer12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Yeah I will use it mostly for Time Machine I don't have a need for a networked drive all I have is my MBP and my parents use the Dell desktop

rgarjr

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Well nowadays big hard drives (1TB~2TB) are pretty cheap so u should get one. You can get any USB hub for it, I prefer non-powered however since they are small.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
When I got my Airport Extreme I wanted a 1TB hard drive, but when Apple dropped the 500GB Time Capsule and the 1TB became $299.99 it was almost the same price buying the Airport Extreme and an external hard drive.
The Airport Extreme it self is $179.00 and a decent 1TB hard drive is $100-130.00, so basically the same price as the 1TB Time Capsule.
A few reasons I went with the Time Capsule is space, and I don't need a USB hub either.
I have the 1TB Time Capsule and it backs up 2 Macs, 1 with a 250GB hard drive and a 160GB hard drive and no problems.
If you got your Airport Extreme not to long ago, you can probably exchange it.

jdusoccer12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Thanks everyone I decided to go with a 1 TB hard drive but which one will go nicely with the AE and look nice?

I actually haven't got the AE yet it is coming tuesday. I decided to get them separately for three reasons, I didn't but the AE it is a Christmas gift from my parents (I could barely get them to spend $170 no way was I going to get $300), if one goes bad it won't cost me as much, and the AE might travel with me and I don't want to risk hard drive failure.

jdusoccer12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Ok I have it narrowed down to two different drives the

Western Digital 1TB My Book for Mac $129
and
Iomega 1TB MiniMax Hard Drive FireWire/USB $159

The only difference is that the Iomega is stackable with my AE and I has a USB hub built in so I can connect my printer to it but I like the cheaper price so could you guys help please!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.