Airport Extreme and iPhone Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by creeman, Aug 18, 2010.

1. creeman macrumors 6502

I recently purchased an AEBS, and I have to say, I am disappointed. I was satisfied at first, because the Internet seemed pretty fast on my MacBook Pro, but recently I have discovered the Internet to be extremely slow on my iPhone 4. It takes a good minute to load the m.youtube.com page, whereas with my old Linksys G router only took seconds. Why? What settings do I need to change on the router/phone to increase my speeds? Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try changing your DNS settings. I'd suggest you try running NameBench on your Macbook then setting the DNS settings on your AEBS to the IP addresses that it outputs as the fastest ones.

3. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems faster. Is there a way to know if the iPhone is connecting to wireless N (2.4Ghz)?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you open Airport Utility and view the settings for your base startion, open the Advanced tab, then click the Logs & Statics button near the bottom, then go to the Wireless Clients tab. You should see what type of WiFi the wireless devices are connecting to on the right most column. Just remember, G maxes out at 54Mbs. If your Internet connection is below 54Mbs (very likely) then being on N will not make a different.