Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I am posting this from my iPod touch. I purchased an airport extreme today to be hooked up to my belkin broadband modem. When connecting following the instructions I can get Internet on my touch but not on my pc. The airport extreme light is flashing amber , how do I hook it up so that my pc that has no wireless card has broadband as well as my iPod touch? Thanks!!!

Boika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
bUMP , please some one help, i need to know urgently

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
So, if I understand your email...

1) Your iPod Touch is working properly via a wireless connection through your AEBS and Belkin Cable modem
2) Your PC (assume running Windows?) is connected via an ethernet cable to your AEBS, and is not connecting to the internet properly

The AEBS will display a blinking amber light if there is no security set on the wireless network, and a few other reasons detailed in this KB article

You'll need to provide some info on the PC, and how you had it connected to the internet before. Was it plugged into a previous router or straight into the cable modem? The solution may be as simple as renewing the PC's DHCP lease

Boika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
So, if I understand your email...

1) Your iPod Touch is working properly via a wireless connection through your AEBS and Belkin Cable modem
2) Your PC (assume running Windows?) is connected via an ethernet cable to your AEBS, and is not connecting to the internet properly

The AEBS will display a blinking amber light if there is no security set on the wireless network, and a few other reasons detailed in this KB article

You'll need to provide some info on the PC, and how you had it connected to the internet before. Was it plugged into a previous router or straight into the cable modem? The solution may be as simple as renewing the PC's DHCP lease

Ok is the only problem that i need an extra ethernet cable to go from my PC to my belkin modem? So if i run another ethernet cable from the airport to the PC it should work ok? As at the moment i only have the one ethernet cable and to use wifi on my touch all i do is simply plug the ethernet cable out of the PC and into the airport. To make it more clearer my setup currently looks like this:

belkin modem > adsl line to wall
> Airport extreme via ethernet

---------------------------------------------------

And should it look like this for it to work correctly?

> Airport extreme via ethernet > Ethernet from AEBS to PC

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that correct?

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
And should it look like this for it to work correctly?

> Airport extreme via ethernet > Ethernet from AEBS to PC
Is that correct?

You need the following connections:
1) A cable from your Belkin ADSL modem to the wall jack
2) A cable from your AEBS to your Belkin modem
3) A cable from your PC to the AEBS

The Touch is using wireless, so no cables needed (duh). This setup will allow your PC and your Touch simultaneous access to the internet without needing to plug/unplug anything

Hope this helps

Boika

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
You need the following connections:
1) A cable from your Belkin ADSL modem to the wall jack
2) A cable from your AEBS to your Belkin modem
3) A cable from your PC to the AEBS

The Touch is using wireless, so no cables needed (duh). This setup will allow your PC and your Touch simultaneous access to the internet without needing to plug/unplug anything

Hope this helps

Thanks heaps that's just what I needed to know!
this is my first router and the apple Instructions werent exactly clear . Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.