Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
So last night our place got hit directly by lightning. It was scary as hell, my entire bedroom filled with light and my smoke alarm went off and I can read peoples minds... teasing.

Anyway this morning i was checking everything and noticed my wifi was down. The Airport Extreme is working but it doesn't recognized the Ethernet plugged in. I plugged the modem directly to my macbook pro and it works fine, so it's not the modem.

Anyway ever have a problem with there Ethernet port on the airport extreme and had any success troubleshooting and fixing it or am i screwed.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I hope your homeowner's insurance covers lightning because you may be buying a new Airport if resetting it doesn't help.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I hope your homeowner's insurance covers lightning because you may be buying a new Airport if resetting it doesn't help.

Ahh didn't even think of that. I should call State Farm. Thanks.

Update: Called the, I'm covered but 500 copay.. so boo.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I called Apple, went through a few things and the guy said they'll just replace it for me! Woot.

Anyway they are sending a new one today and I just have to send back the old one, no charge.

Gotta love Apple.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I would suggest a surge protector on your coax cable going from the wall to your modem (assuming you have a cable modem and not DSL).

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I would suggest a surge protector on your coax cable going from the wall to your modem (assuming you have a cable modem and not DSL).

Indeed. Can you suggest a good one? And will protect against low power level and spikes etc? Probably one with a few minutes of battery backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.