Airport extreme and linksys ethernet switch don't work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nibuoy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. nibuoy macrumors member

2. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

3. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

So I've been through this. From your Internet device (cable modem etc) connect the airport extreme. Then from one of the Internet ports on the AE hook up the switch.

4. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

hmmmm.
    That's how it's already set up

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Which port are you connected to on the switch. I think there is a specific port that you need to plug into for it to work. It's either #1 or #5.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

I was able to do a search for the switch on Linksys' site and found the instruction manual. Are you connecting the router to the proper port? According to the manual, the port to which the router should connect is the sixth port from the left. Then you attach your computer to ports 1 through 4 (according to the same manual, port 5 becomes inactive once a router is connected to the uplink port).

http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/userguide/EZXS55_88_16W_V42_34_23_UG_C-WEB.pdf

7. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

The setup is correct (I just double checked), yet I still get the no IP adress error.
    Also, according to the linksys manual, all the lights are correct.
    I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the ethernet switch, because it used to work perfectly fine before I switched to the airport extreme, when I used an old linksys router.