Airport Extreme and MFP help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pgseye, Sep 19, 2007.

1. pgseye macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Bought an AEBS and have successfully set it up. I have 2 mac laptops connected wirelessly and an XP desktop physically cabled to the base station which I have setup to print with bonjour (plugged the printer USB into the base station). I know you can't scan wirelessly, but I thought a cabled computer would allow you to scan still?? I'm having to disconnect the USB from the base station and reattach to the XP machine everytime I want to scan - is this normal? Also, can't get info like ink status, etc while the printer is connected to AEBS.

Thanks.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's normal.

The scanning application and the printer status applications are written to read over USB. Well, almost all that come with consumer products are written that way, anyways.

Even though you have a wired connection, it's a different type of connection (network instead of USB), so that's why those applications don't work unless you plug the printer in directly via USB. :(

3. pgseye thread starter macrumors member

Thanks aristobrat. Just wanted to know if there was something I was doing wrong...