Airport Extreme and MyBook 500GB drive problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mchat, Jan 5, 2008.

1. mchat macrumors newbie

I just bought a MyBook 500gb external drive to connect to my Airport Extreme base station. I had it all setup and was able to mount the drive on my macbook and desktop pc. But then all of a sudden the drive got disconnected and I had to reboot everything. It keeps happening... any ideas?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Welcome to the club. AirDisk is corrupted in Leopard. Apple has yet to fix it. It's a real pain for everyone. Some have had luck downgrading the AEBSn to 7.1.1 firmware, but YMMV.

3. mchat thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually using Tiger. I've been reading around and it seems there are a lot of problems getting this setup working. Evertime I fix an error another one pops up. For now I've just plugged the drive into my pc.... ah the dream of network storage :rolleyes:

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Well, that's peculiar. I never had troubles with AirDisk under Tiger. Which AEBS do you have?

5. /"\/oo\/"\ macrumors regular

it's a problem with the drive, not the base station or your computer. I recently went through this and you essentially have two options- revert to the previous firmware on the base station (which still doesn't provide 100% stability) or return the western digital drive and buy a different brand drive.

I returned my western digital drive for a seagate free agent pro and haven't looked back. The seagate works flawlessly (including connected to the AEBS), has the same warranty (5 years), is slightly faster than the WD was and has vastly superior build quality IMO.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's funny, one of my "problem" drives on AEBSn is a Free Agent. So much for your theory.

7. /"\/oo\/"\ macrumors regular

while we're on the topic, what issues are you having with your free agent and AEBS? and exactly which model is it?

8. amaramin19 macrumors newbie

Mybook 500

I had the same exact problem. PLEASE remember to connect to your airport using the airport utility. I forgot to hit the connect button and when I did its works fine now!