Airport Extreme and Netgear

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tiggery2k3, Aug 9, 2008.

1. tiggery2k3 macrumors member

tiggery2k3

ok so heres my question. is it possible to set up an airport extreme to used as wireless while being connected to my netgear router (wpn824) i want to be able to turn off the wireless at the plug so i brought another router, and after using my gf's notebook i am slowing beginning to turn towards apple and away from what many on here would call winblows. the only thing i kepe getting when connected to the netgear is ethernet connection unplugged. and connot find a way to get it to connect to my router.

2. paduck macrumors 6502

You should be able to do that just fine. In fact, you might even gain an advantage by turning on 802.11n exclusively on the Apple and 802.11g on the Netgear. That way your 802.11n wireless connections will always be at top speed and not affected by the 802.11g connections coming out of the Netgear.

3. tiggery2k3 thread starter macrumors member

tiggery2k3

is it possible to do it through wired so I can turn airport off and on as I need it by the plug rather than having to go into the settings of the netgear and turn it off and on that way or can it be done by using the netgear as the wireless and the airport as wired. But I would of thought I'd get better coverage and usage with the airport

4. paduck macrumors 6502

You should be able to use either as the primary router (ie- the one that the Internet comes in on). The just connect the two wireless routers via an Ethernet cable. Then you could turn off the one that you were not using a lot (802.11n Airport, if I understand you correctly). Bear in mind that the Airport uses about 14 watts of power, so turning it on and off isn't a big power saver - if it is on 24/7 that's about $1.25/month.

Not sure what the power usage of the Netgear wpn824, but it is only Fast-Ethernet and not Gig-E like the Airport Extreme. May not matter in your environment.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You will likely find it easier to just keep both on all the time, since the power draw is minimal.

I use a Linksys Wireless Gateway (cable modem + router) which broadcasts 802.11g for my iPhone. It is then connected to my Airport Extreme which handles my 802.11n and Gigabit wired connections.

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

It is highly recommended that you separate both g and n by using two different routers! Using an 'n' router in 'g and n' mode will reduce the throughputs and decrease the speed of your 'n' network as well!

I use the Netgear WGR614 for my 'g' network and WNR834B for my 'n' network!

7. tiggery2k3 thread starter macrumors member

tiggery2k3

any idea how to set this up. ive got the airport setup into a lan port of the netgear. and tried my best to get the settings right. but cant figure this out. not sure what the dhcp settings and other stuff is. if someone can help me out on this it would be greatfull. thanks guys for the input. im going to assume this would be easier with two airports as they would recognise each other.

8. tiggery2k3 thread starter macrumors member

tiggery2k3

ok, i actually managed to figure this out thanks guys. and works BRILLIANT!!

9. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Just for future reference by folks searching this thread, you want the Airport Extreme set to "bridge mode".