Airport Extreme and new ipod touch

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Darth Maynard, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Darth Maynard macrumors member

Hi,

Since acquiring my first ipod (3G 64GB Touch) last week, I've been looking to access the web,etc. from the sofa rather than sitting in front of the desktop.

What I do have in my G5 2.0DP, is an Airport Extreme card. I have no base station but don't think that's necessary. I say this because after tinkering around with the airport I was able to sync mail and got the accounts. However, with internet sharing on, I can't connect and get 'invalid argument' when opening itunes.

Another point, this mac was used when I bought it and the old user's network shows up on the ipod. It wants a password. Obviously, I won't know it and figure, I should really start from square one and clear all networks and start fresh.

--how do I clear out the old and put my network in?
    --Which would be the most secure? ( I hear WEP is worthless.)

Internet Connect has steered me around so much, I'm a little dizzy (well, more than usual).

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I am assuming you are using internet sharing from Ethernet to AirPort? To reset/recreate the network the G5 is broadcasting, it depends on if your G5 is running 10.4 or 10.5.

On a 10.4 system, go to Sharing preferences, Internet tab. Click on AirPort Options, you should see fields to name the network, the channel it broadcasts on, the encryption, as well as fields to enter the desired password and confirm it, and even the WEP Key Length. When using your computer as a router such as this you do not have the option of choosing a more secure wireless standard such as WPA or WPA2.

On 10.5 there's no internet tab in Sharing preferences, just an item for Internet sharing. When that's highlighted, you can then see the same AirPort options button on the right-side of the window.

In all honesty to be able to enjoy your iPod touch as well as other devices in your household that may use a WiFi connection, you're better off getting a router of some sort rather than using the computer as an access point.

3. Darth Maynard thread starter macrumors member

JM, Thanks for your help. Following your suggestions, I was able to set the network and get the Remote app to work. I hadn't been able to do that before, so many thanks for that. But, I still can't connect with the other apps (Safari, iTunes store, Google Earth, etc). I tried turning on Internet Sharing and the Remote app lost the connection to the Mac's library. This in addition to no progress with the other apps I mentioned.

I do use the mac' library when I teach guitar, so I'm happy to have the Remote app. (Do you know how long I waited for something like this?! Finally:D)

What would you suggest in terms of a better connection (router)?

Thanks again,