Airport extreme and ntl/virgin ISP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ETID, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ETID macrumors regular

I have a cable internet connection going into a modem which outputs usb and ethernet. I want to connect an extreme to the ethernet port to allow wireless networking but unfortunately everything I have tried has failed, as in the extreme just cannot get onto the internet.

Has anyone done this that can provide some tips? I have been on the phone to apple for over an hour and we haven't accomplished much because they are not too familiar with the ntl/virgin provider.

thanks

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

just throwing out a couple basic ideas, not familiar with ntl/virgin's equipment.
    I'm assuming apple probably had you do this already.

- Unplug modem for 30 seconds or so, and plug back in once you are connected to the extreme, sometime modems get cranky if you change what's connected to them.

-if that doesnt work look for a reset button, and try holding that for a few seconds.

- are you using usb and ethernet at the same time? try only ethernet.

3. ETID thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah we tried these. Apparently the problem does stem from the ntl box not letting the extreme receive packets of data. We tried using only ethernet and we got closer to the result but still no cigar so to speak.

Just annoyed really because the apple store guy said it would be a piece of cake with an ntl/virgin setup but apparently not. Anyways I'll have to keep on trying.

Cheers

4. PatrickF macrumors 6502

I've recently set one up with Virgin/ntl using one of their silver modems. Worked without a problem.

You do have to remember to power cycle the modem though, otherwise it won't dish out a new IP address. There's nothing "special" about Virgin's Internet access - simple Ethernet access through the modem and IP discovery through DHCP.

Have you tried resetting the Airport Extreme back to default settings? Also make sure the cable modem is plugged into the right Ethernet port on the back of the Airport Extreme.