Airport Extreme and Printer/Scanner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Indohottie, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

So I purchased a brother MFC 290C so I could both print and fax.

I was able to hook it up to my airport extreme base station (the n version) and set up the printing function from multiple computers. So I am happy with that.

However I am unable to set up the network scanning function because I need 1 of 2 pieces of info:

Either the IP address for the printer OR the mDNS service name..

Now the printer is hooked in to the base station using the USB port. What is the easiest way to find its IP address? I am not allowed to enter anything for mDNS, I have to browse, and I can not see any choices when I browse for it.

Any insight would be great...

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Airport Utility should give you the IP address of the router.

3. Indohottie thread starter macrumors 6502

Indohottie

I get two options..

on being the 10.1.0.1 format.. the other looks to be an external IP..

neither one works.. any ideas?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

The AEBS doesn't support the advanced functions (ie scanning) of multi-function printers connected with the USB port. If your printer has an ethernet port or can connect via WiFi, do so. You won't get an IP address with the USB port. It only allows the AEBS to act as a print server. And just a print server, not a multi-function print server.

5. Indohottie thread starter macrumors 6502

Indohottie

Thanks for the good info...

If I plugged it into my desktop computer.. could I use the desktop like a multifunctional print server?

Frank

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

You should be able to, though I'm not able to help you with the specifics. Hopefully somebody else may be of better help. And obviously the computer always needs to be on if you want to access the printer, but that's a given.

7. xcell macrumors newbie