Airport Extreme and PS3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .mark., May 10, 2008.

1. .mark. macrumors 6502

Hey, could anyone confirm whether or not ps3's and airport extreme's play nicely together for streaming media files?

currently I stream to my ps3 (via MediaLink) but I'm using a wireless router I got free with my internet connection. I've been considering upgrading to an airport extreme for a while now and I'm almost ready to do so - but I will obviously U-turn if it's not capable of streaming to a ps3.

I've heard it's something to do with upnp?

2. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I use an airport express (wireless g) to connect my ps3 to my MBP to stream media files.

I have used nullriver software and it has worked flawlessly.

The only thing to note is that it will not stream any DRM'd files so if you have a lot of media bought from itunes an apple tv might be best for your needs

d:apple:

3. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

cheers for the input - yeah the DRM is not a limitation of the router.

the reason I ask the question is because it was mentioned in this topic

4. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

I have time capsule and am streaming to PS3 from my different macs.

No problems with videos or pictures. I don't stream music to PS3 - only to an airport express connected to a stereo. All these work well.

Only problems I have noticed is stuttering, when I stream high bitrate H264 videos. It goes away if I wire up the connection - however, even higher bitrate ripped vob files seem to play just fine with no stutter. I will try to put all this in a new thread to gather some feedback.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Remember that Airport Extreme is just a wireless router. It has no built in modem, so if you're using a provider other than Virgin Media (they supply customers with a standalone modem) then you will need a modem plugged in alongside the Airport.

I would love to hear about online gaming performance with the Apple routers.