Airport Extreme and RAID

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RaceTripper, May 29, 2007.

1. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Maybe this has been answered, but I didn't find it via search (I did look).

I have an Airport Extreme and it currently has a Maxtor 320GB drive on the USB port. But I want to get a 1 TB and use it as a 500GB mirrored RAID (for backups using either Backup and/or Retrospect, plus RAW camera file storage). I was looking at the Western Digital MyBook Pro or Premium 1 TB drives for this purpose. However, this Apple article states only hardware RAID works with the Extreme. I believe the WD MyBook drives are software RAID.

Is it correct that I cannot use the 1 TB MyBook drives with the Airport Extreme? Otherwise, has anyone gotten it to work? If not bummer because I really wanted to do a mirrored drive, and I suppose a hardware RAID is going to be pricey, unless someone has recommendations to the contrary.

BTW: I'm a recent re-switcher. Started in the 80s with a Fat Mac and Mac Plus, and switched to Solaris and Windows in the late 90s (Apple's fault to a big degree). Now Im back with a new 17" MBP (plus a 15 for the wife) after having had enough with my Dell craptop. Life is good again.

2. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Yeah, the AEX won't do RAID on it's own - you must have an enclosure that does the RAID in its own hardware (means big $$$).

That's one of the "bummer" things for me about the AEX. If you could plug two drives in and tell the AEX to mirror them, that would really make it a nice home network server (well, once they fix the airdisk issues with lots of large files that caused me to return mine recently...)

Mike

3. RaceTripper thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for replying (I had email notification turned off accidently and just noticed). I just bought a second 320 GB (Iomega USB2 for $33 after rebate and coupon). So for now I'll use 2 320 GB drives on a USB hub with my Airport Extreme.

I'll revisit the drive situation after Leopard comes out and I can evaluate how Time Machine works with my 2 MBPs. In the meantime not buying a 1 TB drive leaves me money to buy tickets for a weekend of races at Road America. :)