Airport Extreme and self powered USB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by atacinus, Jun 17, 2009.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

Will it work together for wireless time machine backups? Or does it require a hard drive with a separate power source?

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If your drive is bus powered over a single cable it won't need an AC adapter.

3. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, but will that work with the airport extreme? I'm just not sure if I can draw the power from that....

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I had my WD Passport running just fine on my Airport Extreme. The USB port on does provide power.

5. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome - a WD passport is the same drive I was looking at - thanks so much!

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...usually 3.5" External Drives have power supplies with them and for the same rotational speed they perform better than the 2.5" External drive equivalents... plus usually you can get a 1TB drive for the price of a 500 GB portable now and more storage is better:D

7. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

But I think in this kind of situation the performance bottleneck is coming from the wireless connection and not the hard disk. Perhaps if you're connected via ethernet you might notice a difference but if you're accessing the drive wirelessly then the difference between 2.5 and 3.5 isn't going to matter?