airport extreme and time capsule issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dobbs2, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

I recently updated my firmware to the newest 7.5 or something on both of those. both restarted and dont show up in the airport utility. I still have internet obviously. I have a wired connection going from the modem to the aebs and imac, but doesnt show up in the utility. Help please I need my wireless back.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

So, everything is working fine but you cannot see either the AE or TC in the utility? Power down everything, let them come back online and wait an hour or so and check again via the utility. I had the same issue after the recent firmware update, called Apple support and voila, left it overnight next morning everything is working and accessible via the utility.

3. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Well all the wired connections are working. Wireless is gone. Green lights all around terribly confused.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Oh, that's different, even though I could not see the utility, my wireless still worked post upgrade. There may be a more elegant solution, but this is all I know:

* do a hard reset on whichever TC or AE is your main unit (ideally the one connected directly to the Mac)

* after its hard reset, it *should* come up in the utility ... make sure it is firmware updated, set it up as desired and make sure both wired and wireless work off of it

* do a hard reset on your 2nd device, wait for it to come up and then repeat the steps to use this device to extend the network (that's what I'm assuming your setup was)

Good luck.

5. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've pushed the reset button on the back with a paper clip had it reset and nada. blinks amber and after a few minutes goes back green and still cant see either one in the airport utility.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Strange, let's try this. Disconnect your main unit from whatever is providing internet so the only setup is your Mac -> ethernet -> main unit (TC or AE). Now, try a true hard reset one more time, see below.

1. Unplug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule from power.

2. Press and hold the reset button with a pen or pencil, then plug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule back in while continuing to hold the button until you see the light (LED) flash rapidly. This should happen after a few seconds.

3. Release the button. This will factory default reset the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule.

7. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

That worked thank you so much!

8. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I have created a new problem I think.... My nat type on ps3 is 3 and on xbox is strict. This is frustrating this usually comes easy for me.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you got both the TC and AE to finally show up under your utility, why don't you just delete the saved networks from your other devices and re-add the new network you had to create following the reset. I would delete and re-add even if you named the new network the same as the old network for thoroughness' sake.

10. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

It keeps telling me something about a dhcp error or conflict. Also my dns has a domain.invalid

11. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Help... This happened when I first had the speed stream router I just can't remember what I did to fix the issue. With the strict nat its driving me crazy.

12. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. jenzjen macrumors 68000

That's a modem issue not sure what you want us to do about it here? I google'd your modem + strict NAT, and there's tons of similar posts out there on the web, maybe that's what you need?

14. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried most of the fixes like the recommend bridge mode and a few others. Guess I'm stuck with it strict Nat until i remember what I did. At least its a modem issue windstream keeps telling me its my router.