Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Glad to be of help. One other thing that I do is use Carbon Copy Cloner once a month to dup my drive to a western digital passport. The WD passport is reasonably inexpensive for my 250G drive...

Just create bootable copy once a month (or more if you want).

Denriguez

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
I just set up my new AEBS and a WD elements 2 TB drive, formatted and partitioned as "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)." I'm seeing that my two partitions are showing up as part of the "Shared" items in finder, but I can't seem to figure out how to "mount" the drive as mentioned earlier. Time Machine seems to play nicely with the drive the way it is, but I was wondering if it was possible to get the drive to appear under "Devices," or if it even matters.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I just set up my new AEBS and a WD elements 2 TB drive, formatted and partitioned as "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)." I'm seeing that my two partitions are showing up as part of the "Shared" items in finder, but I can't seem to figure out how to "mount" the drive as mentioned earlier. Time Machine seems to play nicely with the drive the way it is, but I was wondering if it was possible to get the drive to appear under "Devices," or if it even matters.

That's exactly how mine show up. Under "Shared" is my Airport Extreme, and when I click on that I see the two hard drives connected, one of which is my Time Machine disk. So I don't think it's a problem.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Glad to be of help. One other thing that I do is use Carbon Copy Cloner once a month to dup my drive to a western digital passport. The WD passport is reasonably inexpensive for my 250G drive...

Just create bootable copy once a month (or more if you want).

I was thinking of doing that. Do you copy your internal drive or your Time Machine drive? I was wondering if copying the Time Machine drive would work. Like, if I restored from a copy of my TM drive, would the computer recognize it as my TM backup? I don't see why not but sparsebundles kinda scare me lol

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
I was thinking of doing that. Do you copy your internal drive or your Time Machine drive? I was wondering if copying the Time Machine drive would work. Like, if I restored from a copy of my TM drive, would the computer recognize it as my TM backup? I don't see why not but sparsebundles kinda scare me lol

I copy the actual drive and not the TM drive. One thing I have thought about is buying one of the Western Digital My Book Mirror Edition 2TB which would auto-mirror the TM files but didn't want to spend that much money on it. I think it might be discontinued now anyway.

Exactly mirroring the TM drive (or copying seems reasonable) but there may be some gremlin that we don't know about. In the meantime, I'm going with the safe plan. And, since I didn't do it on the first like I usually do, it's a good reminder to do it tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.