AirPort Extreme and USB Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by airomero83, Feb 21, 2012.

1. airomero83 macrumors newbie

This might be a dumb question but tried searching but no luck. Plan on getting an AirPort Extreme in the near future but first I need a printer. If I were to purchase a regular printer for (non-wireless) and then plug it into the USB port found on the APE...would I be able to print wireless specifically from my iOS devices? Just wanna see if I can save myself a few extra bux by not getting a wireless one.

Thanks for the help! :)

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Any USB printer should work fine as that's the entire point of the AirPort - to turn a wired printer into wireless one.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think the "point" of an AEBS is actually to serve as a wireless access point/router, but ok. Some older printers don't work with the USB ports on modern routers, but it shouldn't be an issue if you buy a recent model.

4. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

The AEBS has many points. Routing is only one of them ;)

5. njaremka macrumors 6502

everything i have read suggests this feature is not implemented into the current versions of the airport base stations. if you want to print from an iOS device, you need to purchase a printer that has this feature.

wireless printing to a printer connected to an airport base station is only supported for OS X devices.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

In short, if you don't want to use third party apps like printnshare on your iOS devices, buy an Aiport capable printer.

The little apps are okay, but fall down document formatting sometimes.

7. airomero83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! This was the response i was looking for :D