Airport Extreme and Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by companion-cube, Jun 2, 2011.

1. companion-cube macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm new around here, and the search function didn't show any positive results, so I apologize if this has been covered before.

We recently moved and now have two Vista computers in the household. I got our airport extreme set up and running fine, but the vista machines don't want to connect. When I try to, it doesn't prompt me for the WEP key, it just tries to connect anyway, and then gives a message saying it can't connect.

I looked around online and this seems to be a known issue but I couldn't find any solutions. :mad:

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a fix?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I used vista with my Airport no problems. But the solution may be windows 7 because Vista is old. :( It should prompt for the key, it sounds like windows is lost and thinks it knows the key. Try deleting the network preferences and see if that helps. Maybe google "vista delete wep key" and see if that has any hits.

Good luck.

3. companion-cube thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked! Thank you so much! :D

4. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

A few months ago I purchased & setup a new Airport Extreme Base Station for my parents house who have never had a WIFI router. They both use Windows laptops, no other Apple gear in the house. The AEBS has been solid so far, no problems at all on. Trust me, if it didn't work right I would have gotten panic phone calls from them right away.

Based on that I bought a new one for use in my home, replacing my ancient router. We have a Mac and Thinkpad. Regardless of whether using Mac or PC, the AEBS works great.