Airport Extreme and Wifi question..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flounder021, Jul 26, 2009.

1. flounder021 macrumors member

I've had the same netgear router for a few years now and it has worked fine, recently the internet has been running slow on our (roommates) computers. I have a new macbook (titanium) and they have the older (previous model) white ones. I called (ISP is cox communication) and upgraded our internet speed assuming it would become faster and it has but not much, think if we got an airport express with Simultaneous dual-band that it will speed things up since the connection is faster and a newer modem would be in the house?? or should it really not make a difference?? and last question how can I tell which technology the computers are using for the connection? apples website says the new computers operate on 802.11n technology, I'm assuming mine does too, how can I tell what their (roommates) computers use? Im assuming its the g technology
    THANK YOU in advance.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Posts like this are really hard to read.
    You're likely on G if that is what kind of router you have. Login to your router to figure that out. Getting new Airport would likely speed things up.

3. flounder021 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry it's hard to read. But I have a new MacBook titanium, wouldn't that have the n technology? And how do I log into the router to look at it? Type in the ip address in safari and go to it?

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Your computer has the N airport, but you need to have an N router as well to take advantage of that. Yeah just type in the routers IP in Safari.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I used the setup disk that came with it. Once you run the utility it may take you 15 minutes to navigate around all the settings. When I first logged onto the router it seemed like Greek. Once I got navigating around I realized it was
    pretty much the same as every other router I have played with with the exception of the guest network.
    I thought apple published a $2 update that added n functionality?

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That was back when they first started offering the N airports. Now the N comes standard.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

ahhh thank you.
    I have to say it's a nice router, a little spendy but the guest option and USB port definitely gives me some options

8. flounder021 thread starter macrumors member

how do you know if your computer is running with a 2.4ghz of 5ghz or any other band speed??