Airport Extreme and Win 2KPro ??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OldManJimbo, Feb 8, 2008.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I'm a Mac, my wife is a PC. (although I look more like the PC guy).

I would like to buy an Airport Extreme Base Station, but I notice in the specs that it works with Windows XP or Vista.

Her PC is running Win2KPro - I'v never wanted to upgrade, hoping that someday she'll make the switch.

Two questions -

Will the Extreme work with Win2KPro?

If not, any idea what would happen if I tried to run both WiFi units in the same house?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

AirPort is just Apple's name for an 802.11b/g/n wireless device. If you have a wireless card in your W2K box that meets any WiFi standard it'll work just fine.

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

So there's no software apps that need to be installed on the PC? It has a Belkin WiFi card that runs "g" - am looking upgrading it to a card that runs "n"

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nope, you don't need anything Apple on the PC. Just a wireless card that meets any of the wireless standards your AirPort has (802.11b/g most commonly, 802.11n too if you have the brand new one).

If you have a belkin 802.11g card already in there, that will work just fine.

5. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Awesome - thank you.
    Nice avatar, by the way - it appears as if you've had some plastic surgery done.
    I think you were a blonde last time we chatted :)

6. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Hmm - something isn't correct:

So - I installed the Extreme, used the Utility from my Mac and both Macs in the house had not problem joining the new Airport, but the Win2K machine would not -

I'm using a Belkin "g" card - the card's utility (on the PC) says there is a solid signal from the Extreme, but it fails to connect with the Internet.

Ideas?

7. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Finally just gave up and called Apple Care - took about 25 minutes but it's all better now.

So - another question -

Suggestions on an "N" card for a Win2K PC Desktop? Which work best with Airport Extreme?