Airport Extreme any good for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by baddj, Aug 30, 2009.

1. baddj macrumors 6502

Hello,

Well my wifi router/modem it reporting issues in its logs saying the wifi sector of the hardware is failing, i am looking a lot of packets. So i am thinking about using my router/modem to connect to the internet and then have a airport extreme do the wifi stuff.

Some of the thing i need to ask you guys.

1) Is there any settings i need to make to the router/modem so i can get internet though the APE?

2) How far will the signal go using the g and how far using the n? as it has to give a computer using g internet and it will be about 22.29 meters though 2 walls. (right now it only gets 1 to 2 bars windows computer)

3) if i have the APE up high on top of a cubed will the computers in other room and down lower then it get good signal?

4) When opening ports would that be done by the APE or the router/modem?

5) Whats the overall build quality and if you have one do you recommend me getting one for this.

2. coopermac macrumors member

1) Your current router/modem settings should be OK as they are. Set the AEBS to work in bridge mode and all should be OK.

2) I have tried both g and n on my Time Capsule and neither give as strong a signal as my g only Netgear router/modem. The n signal will not give as much distance as g. I would doubt the signal will be strong enough to go through 2 stone/brick walls over that distance.

3) Probably won't make any difference if it's on the same floor level and may be even worse if it's on a higher floor.

4) Sorry know nothing about opening ports.

5) Build quality is comparable to all Apple products. Set up is easy, at least I found it easy.

Unless you specifically want to run seperate g and n networks I think you would be better off buying a new modem/router for the network mode you want to run. If you do want both g and n connectivity then it is a good product but you may have difficulty with the signal strength.

3. baddj thread starter macrumors 6502

Some one of anther forum said it will be good. if you change the channel to a higher number. would that be true.

4. coopermac macrumors member

Changing the channel number does not alter the power output but may give a better signal if there is interference from other wifi devices in your location.

The channel numbers are not power settings so a higher number does not mean you will get a better signal.

You can experiment using the different channel numbers to see which is best in your location. Wifi signals can be affected by signals from other wifi routers, cordless phones, microwave ovens and numerous other wifi devices.

5. baddj thread starter macrumors 6502

I just read yor post again and the walls are not stone etc itsplasterboard will that make any diff?

6. coopermac macrumors member

The simple answer is probably, some plasterboard panels do have a metal foil coating on the back which would make a difference to a wifi signal.

The problem with all wifi is that there is no simple answer or guarantee it will work well in every location. There are so many variables that can affect the wifi signal.

In theory if you are or were getting a wifi signal with your existing router then you probably will with the AEBS but there are no guarantees. As I said earlier, in general I have found the AEBS wireless signal weaker than my Netgear router but it could be as good as yours.

7. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

I had a similar problem. Bought an extreme and connected to my sky router using bridge mode.

Signal strength on my macbook pro was excellent which was 2 floors and countless walls below.

Needed more signal to reach the ground floor and beyond, also for my PS3 which was showing around 60-70% so bought an express as well.

Now have 100% signal around whole house (4 floors), wireless printing and airtunes via express and my wd external drive connected to extreme for wireless backups.

Brilliant. :):)