Airport Extreme as a WiFi Extender?

CaptTCS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Bainbridge Island, WA
Hi.. I am setting up the network for my new house, which is kinda big.

Is it possible to set up an Airport Extreme to use as a WiFi Extender, and on the same network as another WiFi router?

Thanks.

CaptTCS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Bainbridge Island, WA
Yes, but only for other Apple Airport base stations.
Hmmm.. What I had in mind was to get a Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem with Built-in Wireless-N WiFi, have that in the Living room, with the Apple TV, and have the Airport Extreme in the Office acting as a WiFi range extender, network bridge to my media server, and connection for network printer and drives.

Would that not work?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Added problem with extenders is a fairly substantial throughput hit. Media servers won't be happy. Consider wired Ethernet where possible and Ethernet over power vs WiFi.

If you must go the WiFi route and don't want a throughput penalty, look into setting up the routers as a roaming network. You will have to wire all the routers together via Cat5e and not every router supports roaming (the Apple AEBS does).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260

Last edited:

Apple Fan 21

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
Added problem with extenders is a fairly substantial throughput hit. Media servers won't be happy. Consider wired Ethernet where possible and Ethernet over power vs WiFi.

If you must go the WiFi route and don't want a throughput penalty, look into setting up the routers as a roaming network. You will have to wire all the routers together via Cat5e and not every router supports roaming (the Apple AEBS does).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260
Is it possible to create a roaming network using Ethernet over power line adaptor to get Cat5 to the 2nd APE?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Is it possible to create a roaming network using Ethernet over power line adaptor to get Cat5 to the 2nd APE?
Can't see why not. Ethernet over power is just going to look like wired Ethernet to a device. It will have less speed (~200Mbs depends on adapter) and more latency but if you can't run a wire it's the next best thing. Added bonus (or not) depending on your point of view is it should cover the whole house with ease, and might work on a few of your neighbors homes too. Don't worry the adapters are encrypted.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Can't see why not. Ethernet over power is just going to look like wired Ethernet to a device. It will have less speed (~200Mbs depends on adapter) and more latency but if you can't run a wire it's the next best thing. Added bonus (or not) depending on your point of view is it should cover the whole house with ease, and might work on a few of your neighbors homes too. Don't worry the adapters are encrypted.
Awesome, this is how I intend to wire in my Airport Extreme into the rest of my network. Thanks for the clarification and saving me having to create a new thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.