Airport Extreme as wifi "antenna"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Harrison74, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Harrison74 macrumors newbie

Dear friends,

Can anyone tell me how to use my airport extreme as an "antenna" to pick-up a weak wifi signal and then to send the "improved" signal to my macbook pro?

Sorry to say I'm a new user and I just don't understand much technical information.

Thanks for reading!

Harrison

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You want to have your Extreme extend another wireless network. This is one of the options in your Extreme's wireless settings. You can only extend other Airport Base Station's networks.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I believe the only way to do this with an Airport Extreme is to have the original router be an Apple router as well. During setup in Airport Utility you select you want to expand a network instead of make a new network.

4. Harrison74 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure that the signal is not originating from a Mac network. It is coming from a nearby PC open wifi (I live in a marina) but the signal I get at my macbook pro airport is very weak and undependable. Do you / anyone know of an antenna that really works that I can attach my laptop that will get me better signal?

Thanks for reading.

Harrison

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Macbook Pro's have a really good antenna already built in. I don't think anything else would really make it work much better.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Have never used it, but I found this online:
    http://store.bearextender.com/

Best of luck.

7. Harrison74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I've looked at this thing and many like it but haven't had any first hand reports. Anyone out there using something like this that really works?

H.