Airport Extreme attached hard drive -- how to keep mounted?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MattG, Apr 23, 2009.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I got this big hard drive and attached it to my Airport Extreme. I can get to it just fine, however, I would ideally like to make it so this drive is ALWAYS mounted on my computer. I've got my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on here, and it seems like every time I wake my computer or reboot, I need to reconnect to the drive, otherwise iTunes/iPhoto freak out because they can't find it. Is there a way I can tell my Mac to stay connected to the drive, and automatically look for it if it's not mounted?

2. azdunerat macrumors regular

In finder preferences make sure you have show all servers checked. Then open you system preferences and bring up the launch on startup window. The mounted HD should already be up on your home screen(IE Right below you mac hd icon) now drag and drop the shared drive onto your launch on start up menu. It will copy the HD image there and you should be done.

I am doing this from memory and my mac isnt right in front of me but that is pretty much how I did it.

3. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

These technique will cause a Finder window with this volumes' content to always open on startup.

Using Automountmaker and adding the AMMs scripts to startup items solves network volume mounting very nicely.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Does the drive show up on the desktop as an AirDisk Drive (little waves icon HD)?

5. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

6. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Thanks for all the advice, everyone -- I will try some of it. However, this whole thing may be moot anyway. It seems like everything is too laggy in iTunes when I do it like this. Movies stall, transfers are slow...which seems odd, because the computer I'm doing it from is connected directly to the Airport via Gigabit Ethernet. If I can't make it work faster somehow, I may end up just connecting the thing directly to my iMac, which is a shame because I really did want to be able to share it between computers through the Airport. :confused:

7. azdunerat macrumors regular

I would say that would have to be an issue with the drive, I have my LaCie plugged into the AEBS and can stream 7-8 gig movies across my N network to my laptop without as much as a stutter. So having issues with things like iTunes is really odd. Do you know what speed your HD is. IE 5400 or 7200rpm? Thats the only thing I could think would cause those kinds of issues.

8. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

It's a new Lacie MAX 2GB Drive. USB 2, 7200RPM drives.

9. azdunerat macrumors regular

Ok I think you meant the lacie max 2TB. I am using the same drive, and it work great. Something doesnt sound right. Have you tried to access your drive over the network on another computer to see how the transfer was. Could it be a problem with your ethernet or the computer it is hooked up to.

10. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

My bad...Yes, Max 2TB.

I haven't tried another computer yet. I don't believe there's anything wrong with this computer, but who knows. Everything else seems to work fine. Back before I bought this hard drive, and everything was stored locally, I used this computer to stream content to my AppleTV all the time, and that worked great (still does). I'm going to look at the Airport settings to see if maybe there's something in there I can change to help..?

11. wartnig macrumors member

I have the same issue.. i am using a 500gb portable drive attached to my AEBS, and it keeps dropping connection / dismounting etc... When its working, it's fine!
    When its hooked up to my Mini direct, I have zero issues.. flawless. But have many macs in house, so want the drive hooked up to the AEBS.
    Do you think a Time Capsule may work better/faster due to the internal hdd?

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Is it mounted as an air disk or regular server? I have had no issues with my aebs with USB hard drive enclosure running 24/7

13. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

To mount it, I go to finder, "Shared" and click on the drive. Then it shows up on my desktop as a blue icon, instead of the normal orange one.

14. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

The easiest way I found to achieve this is to simply create an alias of your network drive after it's mounted. Right click the network drive on the desktop and then "Create Alias."

Works beautifully