Airport Extreme Bandwidth

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nitro1, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I have a Airport Extreme the model before the 1 Gigabyte model. I am trying to stream HD video and it is lagging. I am trying to find out the Max bandwidth over LAN available on that model and how i can either tweek or hack or do something to enhance the bandwidth for the LAN.

Thanks for any help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What 1GigaByte model of an Airport Extreme do you mean?

Time Capsule with 500GB maybe?

Maximum bandwidth over LAN (the connection between ethernet ports via cable) with Gigabit (you mean that, don't you?) should be around 70MB/s, with 10/100 Ethernet ports it should be around 12MB/s, more than enough for playing HD content, unless it is not compressed.
    W-LAN with that model (pre-Gigabit) should be real slow though, maybe 1-3MB/s if ever.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

First, apple don't have any "gigabyte" wifi products
    Second, Gigabyte =/= Gigabit
    Third, there is no Gigabit version of Airport Express

http://www.apple.com/wifi/

4. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

A sorry the bit and byte thing always have confused me.

B. i have the older model of the airport extreme the one before the latest one with dual band and gigabit i think. And i know that it is connected VIA wire to the Xbox and it has issues streaming 720p Video.

C. Is there a way to increase the bandwidth over the LAN.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No.

Also bandwidth should be enough as you hardly have HD content with more than 12MB/s as a bitrate, more like 1-2MB/s.

Is your Mac connected via cable to the AEBS?

6. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is connected via a cable and runs to the xbox 360. When we play HD video it will play for a minute but then it will lag. It seems like the buffer is falling behind but I do not believe there is a buffer for downloaded content. But that is how it feels like you are on YouTube and it needs to load.
    Any ideas why???

7. martijnvandijk macrumors member

Spinnerlys, I am very confused. It appeared to me that the Gigabit version should be able to transfer higher speeds then 70Mb/s (124 Mb/s). isn't that correct? My internet connection is 120Mbps and I only achieve around 70Mbps indeed.

8. VoR macrumors 6502a

His 70MB/s quote was probably more of a real world pc>pc throughput than the 125MB/s a gigabit switch should do.

Your internet is 120Mb/s I assume? Your cap of 70Mb/s is through the router or between two machines on the switch? I don't have an apple branded router, I have no idea how fast they can route data through their wan connection. How are you testing the speed? 120Mbit is pretty fast, are you sure you're connecting to your ISP at that speed and that your speed test isn't limited by whatever you're connecting to?

If you mean that you're getting 70MB/s between two machines on your local network, that's not too bad - you're likely going to be limited by disk speed and afp overhead (and the rubbish network hardware in apple machines!).

Like spinnerlys/consultant have both mentioned - note the difference between GB/s and Gb/s