AirPort Extreme Base and AirPort Express base extending the network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yozh, Nov 15, 2008.

1. yozh macrumors 6502

So I got a AirPort Extreme Base and an AirPort Express Base.

I have AirPort Extreme Base set to 5Ghz with WPA2 personal and its in my basement, I have AirPort Express set to extend that network and its on the 2nd floor directly above it, both show 300mbits on the client lists of each other. When I connect my macbook to the Express via wireless and transfer something to a windows machine that's directly connected to the Extreme via Gigabit network on windows machine shows 1% of 1gigabit, when I switch to Extreme via wireless from the same location I get 6-7% of 1gigabit. Why is the extending of the network gives such a huge throughput loss ?

Could it be the encryption ? WPA2 ? Can it be something else ? I need to have AirPort express on the second floor because at some parts of it the signal is very weak when on 5Ghz.

Any one have any thoughts on this at all ? Thanks.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

You could try turning off encryption. I run a 2.4 GHz WPA2 network and an unencrypted 5 GHz network for my MBP. What are the chancing of someone being able to sniff your 5 GHz traffic? The standard is new and there is very little equipment that supports it.

3. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah well I would do MAC filter... but still I wonder if its that. I will try again soon. Thanks.