Airport extreme base No Stealth??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Atomic-Ed, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Atomic-Ed macrumors regular

I just got a new MP and bought an Airport Extreme router too. I was planning on replacing my old netgear G router with the airport. So I configured the airport and it seems to be working but I can not find the firewall setting anywhere in the utility. The only thing listed pertaining to a basic firewall is just NAT. Can you not have fuly stealthed ports on the public side of this thing? I went out and tested port scan from the outside and sure enough it lists all the ports to the internet as closed. I must find out whether this unit does really have a firewall other than just nat. If not I suppose I could try and use it behind my old netgear router which of course like any other router out there for years, has the ability to fully stealth its public ports. Anyhow I would appreciate any info on this so I can continue to finish my setup tonight.

Well this is both surprising and disappointing, especially for how much this thing costs $

Found the below link to a discussion on how the airport does not have stealth of its ports. This is really lame to say the least.
    Has anyone found a good way to use this thing behind a real stealth router? I do not care to double NAT once it is behind my old netgear. Anyway, any input is welcomed.

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/05/just_how_important_is_it_to_be_stealthy_on_th.html

2. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it is kind of disappointing that the AEBS really lacks any type of legitimate firewall. I ended up putting my AEBS behind a Netgear PRO series firewall, just so I could feel somewhat secure! Now I have to deal with double NAT and port forwarding between the two routers! :(