Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidstretch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Hello, I searched for an answer but didn't quite get a clear one.
Is the airport extreme base station both a modem and a router?
I mean can I connect it straight to the telephone line and have access to the Internet? If not, why the hell should I buy one since the other modems are routers too all in one device and can share Internet?
Honestly I couldn't find a normal answer.
Thanks!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
No, it's a gigabit router and AP. why should you buy one? Because the ISP supplied rooter / modem combos are hopeless, and if you price other all in ones of similar quality to Apples offering you will find they are priced around the same.

ea9

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Hello, I searched for an answer but didn't quite get a clear one.
Is the airport extreme base station both a modem and a router?
I mean can I connect it straight to the telephone line and have access to the Internet? If not, why the hell should I buy one since the other modems are routers too all in one device and can share Internet?
Honestly I couldn't find a normal answer.
Thanks!

It's not a modem.
It does a lot of other things very well, that's why.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

Because modem/router combinations suck? And if you are seriously connecting to the internet via telephone line you should probably just stick with a dedicated modem.

kidstretch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I see what you mean and thank you.
So, can anyone suggest a good modem router that is Apple friendly?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I see what you mean and thank you.
So, can anyone suggest a good modem router that is Apple friendly?
Doesn't your ISP provide one? You said phone line, so I presume that it's some variant of DSL. Without knowing that exact variant, any hardware suggestions we make could be a waste of time.

Anyway, any one that has an ethernet port will work. And that should be all of them at this point.

ea9

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Because modem/router combinations suck? And if you are seriously connecting to the internet via telephone line you should probably just stick with a dedicated modem.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment ? What's wrong with connecting through phone line ?

kidstretch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
My line is ADSL. The problem is that lately I have some dropouts on the wifi when trying to watch videos to my Atv2, buffering issues etc, so I figured I would buy a newer model.

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

ea9 said:

Maybe I misunderstood your comment ? What's wrong with connecting through phone line ?

Maybe he is referring to dial up

ea9

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
My line is ADSL. The problem is that lately I have some dropouts on the wifi when trying to watch videos to my Atv2, buffering issues etc, so I figured I would buy a newer model.

Exactly why you want to let the AE take care of the WiFi job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.