Airport Extreme Base Station Blinking Amber

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeffreyk, Jul 16, 2011.

1. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

I just had a large lightning strike/thunderstorm go thru the area and I lost my Internet connection. My base station blinks amber and the Airport Utility states the Ethernet Cable isn't recognized (it's plugged in from the cable modem). My iPhone and iPad show the Wi-fi signal at full strength but no Internet connection. Any ideas on how to remedy this situation and get me back up and running?

2. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Try unplugging the power to the modem(not the AE, the modem), wait a few seconds and then plug the power back in. I've gotten that warning a couple of times and that's what I did to get it back working again

3. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Yep, we've unplugged the modem a couple of times while keeping the AE plugged in. No luck, unfortunately, as that works for me too, usually. The thing is is that the Ethernet cable is plugged in to the AE and the Airport Utility states that no cable is found. It's like the cable modem isn't sending the ethernet cable signal for the AE to pick up so the AE seems to not recognize the cable actually plugged in. I'm thinking it's a cable modem issue and not my AE as my iPad and iPhone each recognize the network and show full signal bars. But, I could be wrong too as I'm just guessing about the cause.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Well, since you've already power cycled your modem, factory reset (Google) your AE and then turn everything off and back on again.

5. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Switch everything off. Switch modem on (wait till it's connected), then switch AE on. If it goes green then switch on your computer.

If it's still flashing then plug the modem directly to your computer and power cycle it. If still no connection then you've obviously got a problem with the modem or the ADSL/cable into your house.

6. jackgoesfishing macrumors newbie

I know your problem as well. Sometimes it starts working after waiting a few minutes, but most of the time i have to make a factory reset :(.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I had this problem before. I had to go into the settings and select the last known configuration. It rebooted and then worked fine ever since.

8. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@jenzjen I tried that, no luck. @jackgoesfishing Nope, didn't work that way. @hexonxonx I couldn't find last known configuration in the Airport Utility menu (sounds like a Windows option, actually). @psxguru I tried everything you said to do* and still come up with two errors: 1. Ethernet Unplugged and 2. Internet Connection. *My modem and AE are in the basement and my MacPro is attached via hardwire one floor up so I couldn't plug the cable modem directly into my MacPro (so that's the only thing I didn't do from your suggestion.

All great suggestions; thank you all very much. I think the next step is to call Comcast and see if the issue isn't with the cable modem - which I really think it is especially when you consider that all wireless devices in my house recognize the wireless network and get full strength on the AE wifi signal. I don't think the modem is sending a signal via the Ethernet to the AE and that's why the AE states the 2 issues above. Also, I've done a factory reset twice this morning without any luck.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

As soon as I can remember what my password is to setup my modem, I'll post what I did to reset to the last configuration. It's in the airport utility and I don't own a Windows computer.

10. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@hexonxonx I didn't think you owned a Win machine but when I Googled sone search terms it all came up Windows. Sorry. I talked with a Comcast rep last night - had no clue about what was going on, that's why I probably have to call today - and when I said I was running Mac only he sort of scoffed at me in a very condesending tone. Very frustrating.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I reset the AEBS and then let the utility find my AEBS once again. Upon the computer finding the modem, I was offered the chance to restore the previous settings or use default settings. I think I chose reset and save old settings as a profile.

12. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

For me, if I lose my Internet connection, my very first thought is that the problem is with my provider, not me, so I would certainly call your cable company if you haven't done so already.

13. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@hexonxonx Great advice. Unfortunately I don't know how to even access the AEBS as getting deeper into the system files isn't my strong point when it comes to computers. Maybe it's all those years working with (read: guessing on what to do with) PC files before switching completely to Mac over three years ago. I'll look into this if my next option doesn't work out... @bobr Agreed. That's my next option as the tech guy last night sounded, unfortunately, I'll-equipped to handle my issue. But, before I do anything else, I must enjoy some coffee.

14. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Two Questions:

1. How long have you owned the Airport Extreme?

2. Was your Airport Extreme plugged into a surge protector?

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Have you tried plugging the modem directly into the computer?

Leave the base station out of the equation and see if you have internet directly.

Then you can figure out if it is the router or the modem/provider.

16. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@SPJFan Over two years, always plugged into a surge protector. @Cynicalone I'll try to bypass the router if the call to Comcast results in no change.

17. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Did you have any power outages or surges during the storm? I'm thinking your surge protector got zapped by a power surge, and some of the electric damaged your AE. Or, your AE is dying. Both of those happened to my AE's.

18. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Do you have anything connected to the AEBS's USB port? If you do, try disconnecting it.

Everytime I have an issue where either the cable modem or AEBS reboots, I have to remember to unplug my USB hub, then it'll finish the reboot.

19. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Okay, the verdict is in...

Both components - the Comcast Cable Modem and AEBS Router - got fried in some way; and both had to be replaced. The surge protector did it's job but any surge protector cannot withstand an almost direct hit. When lighting and thunder occur at the same time - seemingly over the house which, in turn, triggered our home security alarm (which was off at the time) - that may be a sign of bad things to come. And, as it occurred, that would be about right.

I'm back up and running so thanks for all of your input; you all were a great help in trying to dissect my problem. I do appreciate all of your help. Have a great day, everyone.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Sounds like the storm we had here in Denver one night last week. Simultaneous lightning and thunder. The storm was directly over head so when there was a strike, thunder was instant and I was working out in the middle of it. Scariest storm I have ever seen.

Glad you got everything working now, enjoy it.

21. jeffreyk thread starter macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@hexonxonx It's funny you should mention Denver as I live in Highlands Ranch CO. And, yes, that was one heckuva storm. Many years ago I was living in Castle Rock in a house on one of the hills and we had a huge lightning strike that actually shook the house as if the strike happened inside the house. That was amazing (quite freaky) and the storms recently around here came very close to that. Thanks again.