airport extreme base station info

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andyx181x, Mar 21, 2010.

1. andyx181x macrumors regular

andyx181x

Hey there folks, I like some more info on this product. I can't seem to upgrade my verzion wireless modem/router from WEP to WPA security so I'm thinking of switching to an airport extreme. What I want to know is can i connect the phone line for the DSL directly, or do i need to plug in my old wired modem I got from verizon then to the extreme?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You need a modem to connect to the internet, the AEBS only functions as a router.

3. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

Ok here's another question, i doubt you may know this but do verzions dsl modems known to interfere with apple routers? I ask cause i still have my original dsl model from verizon a westell wirespeed that when I had the airport base (the simple smaller one) it worked well for a while but i had to periodically reset the airport. So i kinda figure maybe the dsl modem was acting up the airpot.

4. misterwebmaster macrumors newbie

My guess is that using a simple dsl modem, rather than the combo modem/router, is your best bet in tandem with the Airport Extreme (AE). Turning off the functionality of router in the combo model may not be possible, and if it is, it adds another a layer of unnecessary complexity.

A router is seen by your DSL modem as just a computer, so any modern router should work fine with most DSL modems.

One important question is whether the AE will serve you better than your current router. Your DSL line speed is probably less than even a 812g wireless connection, so a faster router will not remove that bottleneck.

And Verizon's DSL is not perfect. Slowdowns or freezes of Internet service are just as likely caused by Verizon as by the router or modem.

5. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

The router is just fine, for verizon users theres a http address you can input on a browser to fine tune the specific settings on a modem/router. This model is set only to have WEP passwords and i want to switch it to at least WPA; so far it doesn't like its an option so i'm planning on going back to my old dsl model and getting an AE.

Also mainly the reason i want to do this so I can stop someone I know from using my internet.