Airport Extreme Base Station ... Major help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by al3000, Sep 6, 2008.

1. al3000 macrumors 6502

Hi all

Am having some real problems with airport at the moment, wondered if anyone could help. I am trying to set a wireless network up at my parents house, and airport really isn't playing ball.

Basically, I have an ADSL Modem which is connected to the internet (that I am using now), which is plugged directly into the iMac. However, I want to share this connection by using the extreme base station.. sounds simple enough but i really can't figure it out. Does anyone know which option I should choose? I have tried them all, but none seem to work. I'm sure there must be an easy way to do it, I've used mac for a few years now and consider myself to be fairly proficient, but this has really stumped me.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it! :)

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

When connecting the Airport to the modem, be sure to unplug everything and plug it back in first. Also, does your ADSL modem require a PPPoE login? If so, you'd need to configure that on the Airport.

3. AeroStud1026 macrumors member

AeroStud1026

I have ADSL but not a Airport router.....and I needed a PPPoE login configured it get the internet to work properly to work with my linksys router

4. al3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not too sure what PPoE is; at the moment my modem has it's own control panel (accessible through an IP address), where I have put my login and password details. Do I need to enter this info in airport again?

5. pprior macrumors 65816

The vast majority of setups will autoconfigure without having to enter any information as the cable modem already has been setup by the cable company.

Look for airport utility in the finder and run that, I bet you'll be up and running.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Select PPoE login as an option from the AirPort Utility. Also disconnect the ADSL modem from the iMac, and connect via ethernet cable to the AEBS directly. And play around with the settings in the Internet tab in AirPort Utility. Just match the options you need and let it autoconfigure the rest.