AirPort Extreme Base Station opinions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zalex, Mar 10, 2012.

1. zalex macrumors newbie

I need a new router as mine is almost 10 years old! I will be buying a new iMac soon and think I should replace my old router. Do you think the Airport Extreme Base Station is worth the price? Thanks :)

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW You can save a few $ by buying one refurbished from Apple.

There are many cheaper alternatives, but the Airport Extreme has several features that are not available in cheaper ones.

B

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

It depends on your needs, for me, I have an apple tv, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, a mac book pro, and iMac all on the same network so the AEBS works like a dream and is fast. If all you have is just the iMac and an android phone, I would say stick to the old router and just wire the connection to the iMac.

4. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

As mentioned it depends upon your needs.

I needed AirPlay, but I also needed to extend the network we had and couldn't do so with the router we had so an AirPort Exteme was the way to go, with two AirPort Expresses (one to extend, one for AirPlay).

5. CtotheP macrumors regular

I've gone through every router brand (net gear, belkin, linksys, etc) and the AEBS is the BEST by far. Never have to reboot it except 1-2x/year, it's range is great, and paired with a few Airport Exprsess's the range just keeps going

6. bevo macrumors regular

7. SilverGrid macrumors newbie

When I look at refurbished stuff, I look at the warranty period first. Apple gives a full year on their refurbished stuff, but not everyone else does. I once bought a refurbished Handspring Visor with a 90 day warranty, and I swear it died 91 days after I bought it! All that money just to "rent" something for three months is a complete waste, so I've avoided anything with a 90 day warranty ever since.

I like the Airport Extreme, though I've had as yet unresolved problems lately. At first it looked like the AE, but now I'm not sure. I generally like the software for administering the Airport Extreme.

8. bevo macrumors regular

None – Disclaimer of Warranty

Disclaimer of Warranties. ALTHOUGH THIS REFURBISHED PRODUCT IS SUBJECT TO THE RETURN POLICY, THIS REFURBISHED PRODUCT IS SOLD ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
    BEST BUY AND APPLE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Makes it sound like there is no warrenty on this product at all.

9. hafr macrumors 68030

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station. I knew it ticked every box on my list, and none of the stores in my area carried any of the cheaper alternatives I originally wanted. Having less patience than my wallet allows me to have, I just bought the more expensive AEBS instead since it was available...

I haven't regretted it once. There have been a few hickups that a reboot has fixed, but nothing recurring... So I can definitely recommend it. That being said, I probably would want to save some money by ordering a cheaper option online if I was in your situation again.

10. bevo macrumors regular

Started exploring the time capsule option since right now I run 2 external HD enclosures for 3 drives (1 dual HDD). But it seems that the time capsule will just die on me anyways... Shame. Would be good for my wife and I to have a central time capsule backup.

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

On that note, is there any real difference between these two refurbished APEs?

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC340LL/A
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FD031LL/A

I know one is October 2009 and the other is June 2011, but I don't see any differences in the feature-set.

12. bevo macrumors regular

guessing maybe hardware? I think they chipped chipset companies. Newer one is with a Broadchom chip which is what is used in the other apple devices.

Went ahead and picked up a new airport extreme at BB today since I was in the area.

Easy setup.

13. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

The 2011's have a much greater range. I replaced my 2009 with a 2011 and couldn't be happier. There wasn't anything even wrong with my 2009, other than coverage was spotty on my deck. Not an issue anymore...

14. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Hmm. Good to know.

I'm just looking for something to service a 1-bedroom apartment, so it sounds like the 2009 would be more than adequate. :)

15. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Keep in mind though, that for just another $20 more you have the newest technology available and somewhat future proof yourself for a little longer.

16. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Hi-jack: Any ideas on why the 5th Generation Airport Extreme won't work (WiFi) with the iPhone 4? I recently replaced the wireless router at the church I attend and all the Macs and iPads work just fine, but the staff's iPhone 4 will not connected. I have the 5G turned off as I heard that was an issue. Thoughts/Suggestions?