Airport Extreme Base Station Random Disconnects

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nylock10, Nov 1, 2007.

1. nylock10 macrumors regular

Yesterday my new Airport Extreme Base Station arrived in the mail.

I set it and it worked fine, ran very fast compared to my old router.

But, the router randomly disappears from the AirPort Utility in Leopard and the only way to solve the problem is to turn off the router and turn it back on again.

What is causing this? I have read that too much traffic can do this, but this happens even without downloading anything.

Any ideas?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Mine did this and I returned it (Bought it local), the replacement AEBSn (gigabit edition) has not done this.

3. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you have an 802.11n previously and it did that?

I have the latest router Apple has released (Gigabyte I think, 802.11n).

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yes, they are both the same gigabit router.. one went back and I got another and didn't flash it from 7.2 to 7.2.1,and it's worked fine. However I recently flashed the new one to 7.2.1 and it's still fine, so I guess I just got a bad router.

5. Zianac macrumors member

I'm having this same issue... but when it disappears from the airport utility in leopard, I can't connect wirelessly using anything else... Perhaps I should take this back and get a new one?

6. GodzPeepz macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problems. I've had my gigabyte router for about a month, updated to the most recent firmware as well.
    Last night while I was downloading content from my Xbox 360 it cut off.
    My Imac and my wifes Macbook pro didn't even show the router wirelessly.
    I went to the base station and saw a steady green light, but nothing showed up on my mac's.
    I rebooted the router and it came back on. But for some reason it continues to randomly disconnect and nothing is showing up on my computer's.
    The only way to get this back up is reboot the router, which is getting old.

Anyone have any suggestions? I couldn't find anything on Apple's boards.

Maybe I will just turn this one back in for a replacement.

7. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I am having the very same issue, and yes it is getting old. I have read on another thread more than a couple people are having this problem and I uninstalled the latest firmware but I couldnt get back to 7.1 so I think this is going back to Apple for a replacement.

8. BossHogg macrumors member

BossHogg

No such problems here. Running a macbook and pc (ick) laptop without a hassle.

9. Zianac macrumors member

I just exchanged mine for a new one... I hope that it fixes my problem...

10. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

same problem here...but if I don't breathe to hard on it it will work fine for a few more weeks.:rolleyes:

11. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problem... unfortunately I'm using a fast ethernet 802.11n Airport Extreme, so I bought it a couple of months ago. I won't be able to take it back and exchange is so readily... I'm also having this problem with my Airport Express, it happens every couple of days. It's getting kinda annoying.

12. Zianac macrumors member

I just got mine replaced... It does the same damn thing... :( Maybe I can trade it in for store credit and just use an Ipod...

13. aviddk macrumors regular

Do they have the lastest firmware? I got mine the first day it was available and did have this problem, ocassionaly. The two firmware upgrades since then have made it into a speed demon with no disconnect problems.

Duh, RTFS! My comments are regarding my Airport Extreme base station.

14. Zianac macrumors member

On both the routers I've had I update them to the latest firmware... I don't think it's an issue with me... Since I'm not the only one experiencing this problem... I have a computer and an xbox hooked up directly to the router, and then 4 computers and a wii are all wireless. I suppose I'll try to call applecare about this tonight. I have 10ish more days to return the product to bestbuy... Maybe I'll just get myself a new Ipod...

15. Lock macrumors member

Same problem here. AEBSn (gigabit edition) and the macs in my sig and a generic pc laptop.

I've had the issue since I bought the router in September and nothing seems to stop it. I've been lucky over the last few days, but sometimes it'll drop a few times in the same hour.

16. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Same problem here

Random reboots, problems with setup etc. The whole experience just reminds me of working with a Microsoft product. Apple hasn't updated the firmware in months, mine is a brand new unit. This is getting old really fast Apple. Don't go down the dark side and make shoddy products and then blame it on the user.

17. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

same problem, solved for now

I had the same problem with my gigabit Airport Extreme router. It worked well for 2 weeks then I started to experience random disconnections. I've had the unit for a month now.
    I would even lose connection while in Airport Utility.

In my setup, I have a linksys voip wired router that is connected to the internet. My AEBS is connected to the linksys router in bridge mode. I looked for clues as to why the disconnections might occur. My wireless phone is plugged in the linksys router and is actually sitting two feet away from my AEBS. It is a 2.4 Ghz phone.

So I changed the settings in my AEBS to use the 5Ghz frequency instead and so far it is working just fine.

Hopefully, this fix will hold. I set it to 802.11n only. Since I am not using my older laptop's wireless card that is not n enabled to connect at home, this will be fine for me.
    Hope that would help someone.

18. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

I really wish people would start searching before posting.

This has been the topic of a dozen threads. It is a known problem.

Go back to 7.2 (if you have updated to 7.2.1)... if that doesn't work, then you should consider asking for a replacement.

Before you post again about problems with your airport, you should know that if you get an external USB hd, you will have other problems... which there are no real known fixes for other than disconnecting, mounting on a Mac, dismounting on Mac, and reconnecting to AEBS. Plus, you might have to remove "ghost" hard drives on your Mac....

IE.) My hd is called My-Book... I will have to go into my Volumes and rm -r "My-Book," "My-Book-1," "My-Book-2," etc... all of which are empty and should never have existed in the first place.

Yes... I'm really disappointed in Apple with this... they have been putting out all sorts of new crap (iPod Touch, new MacBooks, etc), but they're not taking care of their current product line.