AirPort Extreme Base Station Set Up Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BurntWaffle88, Aug 19, 2011.

1. BurntWaffle88 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I bought the AEBS to help with my connection timeout problems and my low signal problems in my new house. It's a 3 floor house, also wanted to help others on the top floor get a good signal.

So far I haven't been able to set it up properly.

I tried to extend the network but all I get is an error message saying "this network cannot be extended". And I check the status and it says "Problem = Extended Network". So I'm guessing that wont work.

I really don't know much about the AEBS, I got one because I heard it would boost wifi signal around the house.

I have a D-Link 615 router as the main router and I have the AEBS connected to it via ethernet cable. Is that right? The D-Link router is terrible by the way! Really bad.

I popped into the Apple Store and was told I could just get rid of the D-Link 615 and use the AEBS as a main router. Would that be the best option?

Is the "extend network" only compatible with AirPort Express as well as the AEBS? I don't have an AirPort Express, just the AEBS.

So what I want to know is:

Best way to set an AEBS up "Create a network" or "Join a network" or "Participate in WDS" or "Extend network".

How to add people to it (I live with 3 other people who have PC's) I know it's PC compatible, but do I need to add them to it or would they just pick it up?

Finally how I can set it up on my PS3.

Just as an off note, it takes a while to read the configuration is that normal? I'm probably going to reset it anyways and start again.

So I really need some help and preferably in laymen's terms! If you guys would that would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pretty sure AEBSs can only extend the networks of other AEBSs.

3. Europe calling macrumors regular

Europe calling

If the AEBS is the only wireless router you have, there's no network to extend.
    Ditch the D-link and use the EABS as your main router. Setup a new network. If you've got an iPhone that you want to use on it, don't use the 5Ghz option, as iPhone cannot connect to it. If the reach will be enough for your 3 story house i can't say. If it's a concrete builiding it probably won't

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you have your AEBS connected to your D-Link by Ethernet, you don't want to extend your network. Rather you need to turn DHCP off on your AEBS and have it act as a wireless access point. In order to do this, you need to set Connection Sharing to Off (Bridge mode) in AirPort Utility. Then you'll be able to set up your wireless SSIDs on your AEBS and it will all act as one large network. You can give the SSID the same name and password to create one large roaming network, or you can create separate networks to choose which one your devices connect to. Lastly, the AEBS is capable of simultaneous dual band, so if you have an iPhone (or any 2.4GHz device) connecting to it, you can still utilize the 5GHz band for those devices that support it.

The only thing you'll lose going this route is the ability to make a guest network. The AEBS needs to be the primary router in order to set one up.

Edit: As for your questions about other users connecting, it's like any other router. They just need the SSID password and they can connect to it. If they want to administer it however, they'll need to download and install AirPort Utility. The PS3 should have no issues connecting to it wirelessly, but I'd highly recommend using Ethernet, especially for online gaming.

5. BurntWaffle88 thread starter macrumors newbie

DNS Issue

So I decided to ditch the D-Link router and use my AirPort Extreme as my main router.
    I created a new network and everything seemed to go ok.

However I had a problem with DNS server, saying that it couldn't find any or something. I couldn't connect to the internet because I didn't have a DNS address. So I've resulted in putting my D-Link router back because it gives me internet at least, even if it is low! Plus I live with other people who'd complain if there internet wasn't working (naturally!).
    So any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Also I'd like to know which multicast rate to put it on, I live in a 3 floor house and I want everyone to have good internet. But I want to be able to stream well (BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc.) at the moment it's set to 6mbps and the options are 9mbps 12mbps 18mbps 24mbps. So in terms of that would what you guys recommend?

Never thought my AEBS would be such a b**** to set up!