Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hydra

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Finland
How fast data throughput does the Apple Airport Extreme have with WPA2 AES at 5GHz frequency?
If anyone has one could you please test it by transferring data between two devices and check the speed from activity monitor / network (data).

I've heard Linksys 610N can throughput ~10MB/sec which is nice. Both routers probably have the same? Broadcom chips.

Both of them have Gbit WAN/LAN ports and support for simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, Apple base station would also support USB-printer. On the other hand there's hope of getting proper working DD-WRT for the Linksys.

Hydra

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Finland
speed greatly depends how far away the client is from the router, so that number will vary.

Of course but the highest speed can be capped by lack of processor power from the router, so I would like to know if the Apple router is capable of similar speeds.

Edit:
I bought the base station, shares my HP laserjet nicely and transferred 8-10MB/sec when I tested quickly, using 25% transmit power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.