Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Hi guys!

I currently have a Linksys WRT160N wifi router, but I am not completely happy with it.

It is a N-router, but I have the impression that in a mixed enviroment it defaults to the lowest common denominator and thus performances suffers.

E.g I can not stream video from my MBP to my PS3 without hiccups, and range is much shorter then I expected from it.

It does not have this dual-band mode

Further, it has this typical "linksys problem" of every now and then needing a reset or the plug pulled on it.. (everyone I know who have a linksys router has the same problem)

does the AEBS have similar problems?

At about the same price as the AEBS there is the new top of the line products from Linksys.....

So - what do you guys say about the AEBS??

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I use an AEBS and a Netgear WNDR3700 on a regular basis.

The AEBS' advantages are the n/b/g capability (which doesn't particularly matter to me, but it might if you have b/g devices) and ease of setup.

The Netgear (and most other wireless-n routers from Netgear, Linksys, or others) tend to have much more robust customization options. Another thing that drives me absolutely insane on the AEBS is that there's only 3 ethernet ports when most other comparable routers have 4, but this may or may not make a difference to you.

I wouldn't say the AEBS is "the" router to get, but it's certainly an attractive option especially for Mac users.

Mr.Bullitt

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I use an AEBS and a Netgear WNDR3700 on a regular basis.

The AEBS' advantages are the n/b/g capability (which doesn't particularly matter to me, but it might if you have b/g devices) and ease of setup.

The Netgear (and most other wireless-n routers from Netgear, Linksys, or others) tend to have much more robust customization options. Another thing that drives me absolutely insane on the AEBS is that there's only 3 ethernet ports when most other comparable routers have 4, but this may or may not make a difference to you.

I wouldn't say the AEBS is "the" router to get, but it's certainly an attractive option especially for Mac users.

I only use 1 of the Ethernet ports on my WRT160N - for my printer :-D

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I don't mind saying that I love my AEBS. It's a couple of years old, and not dual-band, but consistently works great for me. Bottom line is that it does exactly what I need it to do, hassle-free.

I use one ethernet port for when my MBP is on the desk, one to connect to my NAS, and one spare for random use. I also use the usb port for an external drive that acts as my TM backup. Wirelessly, there's a MacBook and iPod Touch connecting, and occasionally my iPhone.

I don't have to power-cycle it, ever, which was a frustration with my previous router, a D-link model.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I had the same model of linksys router and the same problem before switching to the AEBS about 4 months ago. It's been set it and forget it. I've got my MP, printer and a USB Time Machine drive I use to wirelessly back up my MBP.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I don't mind saying that I love my AEBS. It's a couple of years old, and not dual-band, but consistently works great for me. Bottom line is that it does exactly what I need it to do, hassle-free.

Thats how I feel about mine too.

Set it up and forget about it :)

The best router to setup and maintain by a long shot. Every time I try to set up a D-link, Linksys or whatever its just a /facepalm experience.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
ooh I too am thinking about a AEBS - anyone know how it is when 'hammered'? (I mean some idiot little brother downloading many torrents at once for instance)...

My Netgear crumbles and resets its DSL connection every few minutes, and my Cisco (currently in service as it NEVER needs rebooting) just doesn't seem to like the heavy traffic and gives slower speeds......

any comments ?

(sorry not trying to threadjack)

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
ooh I too am thinking about a AEBS - anyone know how it is when 'hammered'? (I mean some idiot little brother downloading many torrents at once for instance)...

My Netgear crumbles and resets its DSL connection every few minutes, and my Cisco (currently in service as it NEVER needs rebooting) just doesn't seem to like the heavy traffic and gives slower speeds......

any comments ?

You're probably better off with a router that supports QoS so you can prioritise http traffic ahead of p2p. My experience with Time Capsule has been that its a very basic router with limited functionalities which may be good/bad depending on what you need.

Stepint0sh

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
The Netherlands

any comments ?

All my other routers get hammered (Belkin, Linksys) when downloading a lot of torrents. For some reason my AEBS has no problem dealing with those, in these 3 or 4 years I have never even had to restart my AEBS! :) I'm very pleased with it.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Thats how I feel about mine too.

Set it up and forget about it :)

The best router to setup and maintain by a long shot. Every time I try to set up a D-link, Linksys or whatever its just a /facepalm experience.

Yes, highly recommend it and totally agree:

SET IT AND FORGET IT! Even after power outages!!

Tried Netgear, Linksys PITA

Also like the guest network feature

It handles all of everything.

Only thing I am wondering about is what is next, because I want to buy a second one to set up at the other end of my building.

PS: Yes, small gripe one more port would be nice:)

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
I don't have one (yet) but based on my research this looks like a strong product. I don't understand the dearth of ports. I love simple and elegant design, but the main purpose of a router is to enable interconnection of computers and networks.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
At the risk of being a bit redundant, I'll just add my words from another recent post on this subject:

I have no complaints about my Time Capsule--an original production model. It works flawlessly with my iMac, with my streaming music on Airport Express, with my iPhone, and with some recent guests and their two Windows 7 laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.