Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coltrane58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
I have an airport extreme base station and I had an external drive hooked up to the usb port. It had been working for the 10 months I have owned it. I was not using a powered hub as some had recommended. about 3 weeks ago it was no longer being recognized. I then tried to access it using a powered hub and it still did not show up. I then tried a stick and that wasn't recognized. so, is there any explanation on what might have happened and how I might fix this?
thanks
john prokopek

coltrane58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
thanks for the reply, after resetting the AEB the drive showed up as a sharepoint but not a drive. I can create and access files on the drive but it does not show up as a drive in the disk utility so I can't use the drive for a time machine drive. any ideas?

thanks again
john

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
thanks for the reply, after resetting the AEB the drive showed up as a sharepoint but not a drive. I can create and access files on the drive but it does not show up as a drive in the disk utility so I can't use the drive for a time machine drive. any ideas?

thanks again
john

Sounds like the drive is being treated as a FAT format, which can be used for shares but not for Time Machine. Try reformatting the drive on your Mac in OS X Extended (Journaled) format & see if that helps.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
By chance did a new firmware get downloaded automatically to your hub? Every time I had a issue with the previous generation it was because it had somehow installed the latest firmware.

coltrane58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
I hooked up the drive directly to my mac mini and repartitioned the drive as journaled. It still does not show up as a drive. are there any particular settings in the airport utility that might make a difference?
thanks
john

----------

ZipZap
how can I find out the firmware upgrade history? I thought this might be the problem but I do not know how to check the upgrade history or how I might be able to revert to a prior version. with my pc boxes modifying a bios is easy.

thanks for the help
john

coltrane58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
ZipZap

okay so I reset the extreme using the reset button on the back. I tried to revert to an earlier version of the firmware and then I updated to the latest. I also repartitioned the drive and it still only shows up as a share. I do have a drive plugged directly into the mac mini for backups and that correctly shows up as a drive. Since I know that i can backup to the drive I tried to use that drive to test the extreme usb port and it still does not show the drive as a usb drive only as a sharepoint. are there any specific settings I should set in the disk settings in the airport utility?

thanks
john

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
ZipZap

okay so I reset the extreme using the reset button on the back. I tried to revert to an earlier version of the firmware and then I updated to the latest. I also repartitioned the drive and it still only shows up as a share. I do have a drive plugged directly into the mac mini for backups and that correctly shows up as a drive. Since I know that i can backup to the drive I tried to use that drive to test the extreme usb port and it still does not show the drive as a usb drive only as a sharepoint. are there any specific settings I should set in the disk settings in the airport utility?

thanks
john

John I guess I'm a little confused, re-thinking the issue you're seeing I think I gave bad advice earlier.

In the AirPort Extreme prior to the most current (tower/802.11ac) version disks attached to the Extreme are shared but they don't show up as disks in Disk Utility. You simply browse to them as share points. Apple didn't support using disks on AirPort Extreme for Time Machine until this most recent Extreme version.

There is a work-around for this, which basically involves creating a sparse bundle on the drive and then mounting that sparse bundle as a disk on your Mac, then you can select that for backups. But it doesn't happen automatically.

Is it possible that you'd gone through the steps like described in this website to get it to work in Time Machine? If so you could re-do those steps - but it's not very reliable, and it's prone to simply quit working (which sounds like what may have happened to kick this whole issue off).

If you have an iMac or Mac Mini I'd plug the disk in directly to the computer for Time Machine. If it's a MacBook that may not be practical, in which case you might consider upgrading to the latest AirPort Extreme (which explicitly supports using disks for Time Machine backups) or even getting a Time Capsule (new or even a refurb previous generation). You could then use your current Extreme to extend wifi coverage with either of those solutions, or sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.