Airport Extreme Base Station won't work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ChristopherM, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ChristopherM macrumors member

ChristopherM

I posted here maybe a fortnight ago and asked some questions about setting up a usb router type of set up and upon the advice of this board I went out last week and bought the Airport Extreme BS. I've plugged it in, installed the software on both PC and MBP and I can not, despite a week of buggering about, get the Airport Utility to acknowledge that the AEBS exists. Nor can I get the damned amber light to stop flashing. I've followed the instructions but I'm lost. Is the something I need to do that I'm overlooking? Does it need to face West whilst lying over a buried newt? Please help!!!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

have you tried connecting to it with an ethernet cable? that is the easiest way of configuring it.

the amber flashing light means that it cannot connect to something (generally).

3. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

I have tried the ethernet cabling idea but I'll do it again just to double check! Thanks!

4. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

have you updated your computers to the latest firmware/software etc by going through Software Update? maybe it is having troubles talking to it?

6. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

I have done the updates. Could it be stuffed maybe? Should I take it back?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no i doubt that its stuffed, otherwise it would flash red. the amber light could indicate that it is not getting an internet connection.

8. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

It came up for a moment! It asked me if I'd like to manually or automatically configure it. I pressed automatically and then nothing! This is so bloody frustrating!!!

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that is frustrating! i would have clicked manually :p

10. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

Oh man...really? Maybe that was my one shot too!

I'll try to recap what I've got plugged in and where, in case that makes a difference(I was playing with the cables when it had its moment of clarity just before).

I've got power to the AEBS, Belkin N1 and MBP. The internet is working fine. As is the MBP. I've got a network cable running from the N1's port 4 to the port with the circle above it on the AEBS. Another cable from the middle network port of the AEBS to the MBP. And an orange light driving me crazy!

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok i see. you are running a router through a router? that can prove problematic.

is your Belkin N1 the modem? if so, keep the current setup - if not, try to plug directly into the modem.

the port with the circles above it is the WAN port - which expects an internet connection, normally a modem coming directly into it but it can be configured to work.

the N1 might be causing problems because it sends out DHCP IP addresses, and the ABES might be trying to do that too. if you can get into the manual settings of the ABES, make sure that it ISNT giving out DHCP addresses, as it will basically have to act as a switch.

ummm thats the main things that i can think of, just try to get into it haha

12. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

The N1 is a modem router... :(

So to get the machine that isn't working, I need to get it to work to change the settings?

Can I change the N1s settings instead?

13. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Try resetting your modem, that might fix things. Also under security are you using WPA or WPA2? Some older computer's software seems to only recognize WPA, not WPA2.

14. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

I've disabled security completely(I can't see any barbarians hordes with laptops outside, so I think I'll be safe for a few hours) and reset modem and AEBS...nothing!

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

as you are connecting directly via ethernet there is no need for security.

The ABES needs to be receiving an ip address, not trying to give them out - which is meant to do. You need to directly plug in via ethernet from mbp to ABES and turn off ur wireless so that it can get a specific connection. Then turn it on and try the airport utility..

16. ChristopherM thread starter macrumors member

ChristopherM

Okay, I've got the green light on nice and solid!!!!!

It seems to be a little funny still but time machine appears to be working, I can get the internet working fine over it and I'm doing some printing!

So, thank you kindly for all of the help offered here, especially Dofot9, it's been invaluable!

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats great to hear! terrific that the ABES can work behind another router and that everything is working fine :) if you need anything just ask

its all good, i know how annoying it can be when there is nobody willing to help - i try my best.