Airport Extreme Base Station Worth It?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iThink Apple, Mar 15, 2012.

1. iThink Apple macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

2. roblawton macrumors 6502

I recommend the Airport Extreme to anyone who uses a Mac, especially if you have an Apple TV.

The 5GHz network makes a LOT of difference when transferring files across your network and streaming to/from the Apple TV.

I'm not sure about the PS3/Xbox WiFi capabilities off the top of my head, but the iPhone will only connect to a 2.4GHz network, which is fine for what you will use it for.

The MacBook and ATV will connect to the 5GHz and you'll be nice and fast there.

If you can afford it, get one.

3. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

Right now I have this router. is it worth getting The Airport Extreme?

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Ro...VproductId97826163VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm

4. roblawton macrumors 6502

To be honest, if that's working fine at the moment, I'd say stick with what you've got and save the money.

If you've got cash to burn and want to Apple-fy your setup that little bit more... Then go for it! That's what I did!! :D

5. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

Forget about the cash....Will I get a better performence?? Thats what I want to know!

6. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

7. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I've owned quite a few different routers from different Manufacturers, and hands down the Airport Extreme has been the most reliable, trouble free, and has been the fastest router I've owned. I have owned both Macs and PCs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. :D

Sometimes I hate saying that because people just claim I'm a fanboy. But hey...it just works and if it ain't broke don't fix it...

8. roblawton macrumors 6502

It's also great to show off...

My brother came round with his Windows Laptop, connected to the Airport Extreme and he got a pathetic 20MB/s.

When I connect using my MacBook Air, I get around 37MB/s! :D

9. hafr macrumors 68030

20 and 37 MB/s to/from where?

10. roblawton macrumors 6502

That was the difference in Internet speed sorry.

I didn't test the speeds within the network.

11. hafr macrumors 68030

You got a 37 MB/s internet connection?

12. roblawton macrumors 6502

Good ol' BT Infinity!

They offer up to 40MB unlimited, when I ordered they estimated my speed to be 27.7MB/s but once it was connected, I'm getting 37/38MB regularly!

Awesome speeds with nearly 10MB upload too!

13. hafr macrumors 68030

Could it be that you're confusing MB with Mb?

14. roblawton macrumors 6502

YES!

That's not like me at all.

Mb/s NOT MB/s! :D

15. hafr macrumors 68030

Okay, I was deadly jealous for a while ;)

16. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more. When I was just getting into the Apple ecosystem I scoffed at the price of the Airport Extreme Base Station. Instead, I bought the Belkin N750. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-n750-db-wireless-dual-band-n-router-reviewed
    According to that chart posted earlier, it ranks near the top in terms of theoretical speed. However, my experience was atrocious. Setting it up was a pain. There was a bug in the password entry that caused everything I typed to be doubled. I had to type out the password in a different program and paste it in--ridiculous. The proprietary software for managing the networked printer was inoperable. It provided the internet connection just fine, but failed in all of the extra features (which was why I bought it). After part of a day of frustrations, I thought, "there must be a better way." I returned it and sprung for the AEBS and haven't looked back. It was easy to setup. I can tweak settings from my iPod touch, MBP, or MBA. I have a usb hub attached to connect a hard drive and a printer. All computers can connect to both. Before we sold our Lenovo, it connected like a charm too. I've been known to take it with me to visit my grandparents and set up a wireless network with their DSL connection. Plug a few wires and it's good to go.

17. qtrim macrumors regular

qtrim

As a slightly OT question, I need to buy some new cordless phones. Should I get 5mhz phones, or stick with 2.4 to stay out of the routers spectrum? Or does the AEBS see what channels are busy and stay off them?