AirPort Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LadyX, Oct 9, 2012.

1. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I live in a two-storey house, and I have my wireless router on the second floor. If I were to buy AirPort Extreme Base Station and placed it on the lower floor, will I get Wi-Fi signal from the upstairs router?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can save your money and buy an Airport Express. Use it as a bridge, that is exactly what I do. While I do it for another reason (TiVo box needs internet and direct connection worked nicely) it is the setup I have.

Modem to Airport Extreme (upstairs) to which I have a printer and a NAS plugged in, and then the Airport Express downstairs in the family room.

3. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Why do you recommend AirPort Express over Extreme? What about the signal strength, is it good? Also, what do you mean by "use it as a bridge"? I apologize, English is not my native language :eek:

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because your router is already doing what the extreme would do. It is like the mother ship, providing internet wirelessly throughout the house. The express will "bridge" the network. In other words, think of the router you have now. The signal is being sent all over the house but if you had something downstairs that could sort of relieve the signal, the signal will be better (should be better). In very literal terms, a bridge gets you from point a to b faster if there is a gap in the road (that requires you to move around it). The express will bridge the signal ensuring that it is stronger once it reaches whatever you're using on wifi downstairs.

At least that is how it was once explained to me.

Some link that may also help:
    http://www.tireddonkey.com/files/EthernetBridge.html

5. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Ok then. So I have to attach an ethernet cable in the second floor router (D-Link DIR 615) and attach the other end in the AirPort Express that will be placed on the first floor and by doing that I'll have a Wi-Fi signal on the first floor?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, you just set the airport express to bridge mode and plug it into the wall (or in the case of the new ones, it is a unit that has a cord that plugs into the wall). The wireless router sends the signal to the bridge and that is that. If you have anything downstairs that you want to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable, you can plug into the airport express.

No cords from first to second story though.

7. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Note:

The older (plug into the wall) AEBS doesn't allow for ethernet connections. It's a WAN port only.

The newer (with power cord) AEBS does allow for an ethernet connection (and WAN as well.).

8. LadyX, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

But the AirPort Express I have in mind can't be plugged into a wall. The one I'm referring to is this one: http://istyle.ae/products-details.php?idcat=57&id=75

EDIT: I prefer this one because I have a Cisco Linksys Extender Bridge that I tried using by plugging it into a wall but it doesn't work, I couldn't get a wi-fi signal.

9. mwhities macrumors 6502a

That's the newer one. Only have to plugin the power cable. The wireless will work. Just use the Airport Utility to configure it after you plug it in.

10. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Without the need to connect my wireless router with it using an ethernet cable?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hence why I said "(or in the case of the new ones, it is a unit that has a cord that plugs into the wall)." ;)

And no need to connect to the wireless router with a cable. It's wireless. Read up on bridging your wifi.

12. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I read it quickly. I just wanted to clarify for the OP. I sometimes misread things myself. :)

13. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Okay. I think I got all the information I need. I appreciate the help from both of you :)

14. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Just one more question, what are the chances of this not working? I've been thinking about that because as I stated in my earlier post I had a Cisco Extender Bridge (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399489,00.asp) that I used to plug in the wall but it wouldn't get any wireless signal from the upstairs router. So isn't AirPort Express the same, works as a "bridge" as well? I'm assuming that because the Cisco one didn't work, AirPort Express won't work either.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good question, I did some digging.
    http://homereviews.cisco.com/9081-e...ge-extender-bridge-reviews/reviews.htm?page=2
    Before clicking the link, I ran through the reviews and found this:
    Also, what is interesting is that the chief complaints also include no support for Mac OS X 10.7. By now, it's possible that has changed. What router and computer (model of router and OS version of computer)?

Also, I found some other sites that may be useful. The good news is that you can buy and try (that's what I would do by now) and return if it doesn't work. Especially easy if you have an Apple Store near you. If not, I imagine Best Buy sells them. Be sure to get the newest version; if you're sold the old version that plugs directly into a wall (no cords) then you're better off getting that second hand. I have the version before this latest if I recall and it works great.

Some of these sites may help.
    http://www.quora.com/AirPort-Expres...ing-WiFi-network-to-another-part-of-the-house

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=781627

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4063348?start=0&tstart=0

16. LadyX, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

I appreciate you taking the time to search this. I've checked out the links, they are very helpful. I've did some googling myself and I got contradictory answers whether AirPort Express supports my router which is a D-Link DIR 615. Some say that Apple Airports only work with other Apple Airports (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4143175?start=0&tstart=0), (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4285966?start=0&tstart=0)

However, a user has reported that his AirPort Express didn't recognize his router until it was set to TKIP https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2592256?start=0&tstart=0

I guess I should do what you've suggested, to try it out and if it doesn't work return it. Or I could try it with my other router (Linksys) as well before returning it. Thank you so very much!

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have traveled with it once or twice so I had no control over the router but it would provide wireless in my room when wireless wasn't an option at the hotel. I think what can happen with research online is you will get dozens, if not more, answers and no two may be the same. I do what you do, read and ask, but in the end I usually end up buying and returning if it doesn't work out. It is easy for me with a couple of Apple stores nearby and a couple Best Buys if need be.

Good luck and report back if you don't mind. I'm curious to see how it works for you.

18. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Actually the Airport Express N that plugs directly into the wall does can act as a WAN or LAN port. I currently have a client device plugged into mine for network access.

19. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Depends on your house, but i've used my previous generation airport extreme in a 2 storey house without issue.

20. mwhities, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

mwhities macrumors 6502a

I'd like to know how. I have two and they did not work, unless I'm missing something. Post how you configured it or not to hijack the thread morem PM it to me.

EDIT: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2272

I'll need to look into that when I get home. If that's the same AE.

21. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

It only works with the Airport Expres N (gen 1):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1272741

----------

WDS is not widely supported in consumer products, Apple is one of the few that have it available in all their current routers. And it can be flaky when connecting between differernt manufacturers.

If your D-link is WDS capable you may have to enable it before extending it with the Airport Express. If it's not, you'll need to connect the D-link and AE via ethernet cable.

22. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

1. To get the best WiFi signal throughout your home you will want to connect the 2nd WiFi device via an ethernet cable, this will ensure a strong signal from point to point.

-So connect ethernet cable into a free port of your router, run it to the location that you want your "repeater" to be and connect it.
    Setup is simple through the Airport Utility on the iPhone or your Mac.
    Whenever I add another device I reset it to factory defaults, that way Airport Utility picks it up immediately and asks how you want the device set up. Choose that you want to bridge the connection and the utility does the rest and restarts the Airport Express, when it comes back online it should now be extending your wireless network.

2. I've done the whole, extending my network through WiFi and while it works in a pinch and is simple, that is all it has going for it. If you have a signal on the first floor and it is slow, all the Express is going to do is give you a strong signal downstairs with slow WiFi.
    This also basically cuts your throughput speeds in half, so if you try transferring files you will notice it will be very slow compared to an ethernet connected repeater.

- Setup is quite simple to wirelessly extend a network as well. Take your Airport Express to where you want it, plug it in and (like I mentioned above) I like to reset it to factory settings anyway by pressing the reset button.
    -Have Airport Utility open and it will pick up the new device and ask you how you want it setup.
    -Just choose that you want to extend a current network and choose the name or the WiFi network and enter its password. Airport Utility will do the rest and restart the Express.
    -After the restart it should be wirelessly extending your current WiFi network.

23. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

How do I know if my router supports WDS?

24. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

From what I have gathered the DIR 615 does not have WDS natively.

The only means I know how to make it work is it use the DD-WRT firmware which enables many, many more options in your router, one of them being WDS.

but before we go any further regarding that can you tell which revision of the router you have.
    It should be noted somewhere near the model numbers on a sticker or plate.
    Ex. Rev C, Rev D3, Rev E3.

25. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't see any mention of WDS support here on the specs page, so I don't think it supports WDS.