Airport extreme base station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bearcatrp, Nov 27, 2008.

1. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Looking for a new wireless router for the house. Anyone have experience with these? Worth the money? I use a linksys 54G now but starting to crap out and comparing the new linksys to the airport. About the same money. tnks

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

I have had a Linksys, D-link and AEBS. The airport was the quickest and easiest to set up. I can't say how better it is as the Linksys was in a house in the UK, timber frame, the D-link in Germany with lots of concrete and the airport in Canada with timber again.

My feeling is that the range is similar but ease of use wins for me specially as I get >270 on my MBP connection and a reliable 56 on a Viao anywhere in the house.

3. Applepwns macrumors member

I would go with the Airport. and seeing as that all your products are apple (says your signature) i think you would be very happy with it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The AEBS offers great radio performance. Speed isn't very good, but overall it's pretty good.

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Unless you're hooking up something to the USB port in the back, I'd probably save the money and buy something else vs. the AEBS. While the AEBS is nice, it is a little over priced. I've had one over a year and haven't had any problems with it.

I purchased it for two reasons. 1) Share the printer with my wife's Windows machine. 2) It can sit on my desk and I can stack things on top of it. Since the antennas are inside the case, it doesn't look like crap sitting on my desk.

6. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the info. Put a bid on one in ebay. 179 is a bit steep but a comparable linksys is around the same price. I like the fact of no antennas sticking out though. Have a good turkey day.