Airport Extreme Base Stations lose network/internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elwornick, Oct 24, 2011.

1. elwornick macrumors newbie

We have several laptop carts with Airport Extreme Base Stations (802.11b/g flying saucer style) that keep losing network/internet connectivity. The laptops that connect to the BS are Dell Latitude D510 with Windows XPsp3 over a Novell network. Connectivity isn't totally lost because I can go into the Airport Admin Utility and still see the Airport. To regain connectivity, the teachers have to unplug the BS to reset it. Otherwise, the only thing that is more of a permanent bandaid is to go into each and every laptop, disconnect from the Airport, do an ipconfig /release and /renew (I also do /flushdns) and reconnect to the BS. This will work for a while, then it will go back to dropping the connection to the point that the laptops can't even login because it's not getting an IP address, thus not seeing the network. I've also tried restoring the BS to factory defaults and setting it up again, but after awhile it will start failing again. This happens on a number of BS's we have, not just one. I've been searching for a while on this subject, and still haven't found a permanent fix, so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear it! Thank you.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Does the problem happen when only one base station is active? Maybe it's a problem with them interfering with each other.

3. elwornick thread starter macrumors newbie

There are multiple laptop carts connected at one time, however they are spaced throughout the building and each is on a separate channel, using interference robustness.