Airport Extreme + Belkin USB Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacBlackBook22, Jul 1, 2007.

1. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I just bought the airport extreme. I will need extra USB ports so that my 2 printers can be networked to my other computers. I have the belkin hub (originally got it for a mac mini) I was wondering if it would work okay hooked up with the extreme???

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

You didn't say if you got the Airport Extreme "g" or "n" model (newer). The "g" model only supports one printer. Your USB hub has to be a powered hub for the "n" model, then it'll work.

3. MacBlackBook22 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

The Extreme is the "n" model one. I was doing some hunting around the web for info on this and found this blog about the new "N" version and she had hooked up the same belkin hub as I have and she says that it worked just fine. Here is the link: http://www.dailytechnobabble.com/2007/02/20/apple-airport-extreme-80211n-mini-review/

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I disagree about the hub having to be powered. I have an Airport Extreme "N" and have two USB2 drives attached to a hub. Although it's a powered hub, I'm using it as a non-powered hub. The power supply is not attached. I have never had a problem using either drive: they always stay mounted and no I/O issues to date. I'll be attaching another 1 TB USB2 drive (Fantom G-Force MegaDisk) next week.

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

OK. That's good to know. But I'd use the power brick if I were you.

6. MacBlackBook22 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

That's good to know. I am getting my Extreme "N" set up this evening. Will post my results when its done:apple:

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Why? It's not needed and provides nothing useful to the setup.

Both drives and the Airport have their own power source and wouldn't draw power from the hub anyway. I originally bought it for use with a couple of portable USB drives on a laptop, but that's a different story -- they do draw power from the USB port.

8. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

These links don't add any new or useful information to the discussion. Just because others make the same, unsubstantiated claim, doesn't make it true. I am already using a non-powered hub for multiple drives on my AE and it works flawlessly. I backup 2 MBPs to one drive nightly, and I've transferred many GBs of RAW photo files and video files to to/from the other drive without even a hiccup.

What's the evidence for your claim that USB devices with their own power source still need to draw power from the USB port? That doesn't make any sense to me. Although I don't claim this article is authoritative, it supports what I've said about using powered vs. unpowered hubs (i.e. unpowered devices may need a powered hub, powered devices don't).

10. MacBlackBook22 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Some good some bad

Well good news and not so good news on my install of the Extreme "N" . My 2 printers a Canon and an old HP were real troopers and my XP desktop and the 2 Blackbooks found them (via Bonjour) right away with no problem. The problem was the Maxtor external hard drive. It caused real problems when hooked via USB. Caused the extreme to loose connection. and finally when the blackbook found it. It wants to reformat it. Anyhow my dear "techie" friend tried all manner of this and that and no luck. So instead I used it the way it had been before which was through the linksys Network Storage link for USB printers. Its connected to one of the ethernet ports. All three computers can see the network drive. I would like to have a direct link via USB to the extreme but can't figure out how????

On the great side the signal is strong and fast. I haven't tried the mobile blackbook out on the balcony that will be the best test of the range...

11. MacBlackBook22 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Working like a charm!

Updated news. I have a My Book Essentials HD that has been connected directly to the Blackbook that I use in my bedroom permanently connected to a monitor. I decided to take that HD and try connecting it to the Airport Extreme. I am ecstatic to report that the My Book HD was visible right away to all of my computers (XP desktop, and both Blackbooks) I have no idea why the maxtor HD was not able to but hey I am just happy that the MyBook HD works.

So I can say that the Belkin USB hub which is NOT powered works just fine in attaching external hard drives and printers. So no need to go to extra expense of buying a powered hub for those that are going to be needing more USB ports for the Extreme "N"

12. MacBlackBook22 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Apology

I was partially wrong in my previous post in saying that I didn't need a powered USB. I do for the hard drive to work properly. When it was in the non-powered one it would connect to the network for a short time then get lost. So I still have the printers connected to the non-powered belkin hub as they don't have any problems. Once the hard drive was in the powered USB it has been rock solid.

As to the Maxtor Hard drive, I backed up all the info then reformatted for Mac and now it is along side the MyBook in the powered hub and both my Blackbooks and XP computer are all able to read and write to the maxtor drive.

I have also found with the Airport Extreme that my airport express are much stronger and my itunes library which I have playing through my stereo is much more stable. No drops. And this is being streamed from my blackbook (in the bedroom) to the downstairs Office where the Extreme is located,then back to the bedroom stereo!!!!

Way to go APPLE... my linksys router wasn't able to do this