Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wongiranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
London
I want to upgrade wifi network, and considering new Airport Extreme. Will run 2 MacBooks, G4 Powerbook and 2 PCs, as well as iPhone, PSP, etc. Currently use Netgear Rangemax DG834PN Modem/Router.

Should I use the Netgear box as DSL modem for Airport Extreme (it is 802.11 b/g), or get a new modem?

Any suggestions / recommendations?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If I understand you right, the AE does not work as a modem ... just a router/switch. You still need a modem that plugs into the phone/cable line.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I want to upgrade wifi network, and considering new Airport Extreme. Will run 2 MacBooks, G4 Powerbook and 2 PCs, as well as iPhone, PSP, etc. Currently use Netgear Rangemax DG834PN Modem/Router.

Should I use the Netgear box as DSL modem for Airport Extreme (it is 802.11 b/g), or get a new modem?

Any suggestions / recommendations?

I'm assuming not all of them are N network compatible. IIRC last I heard that if a G is thrown into a mix it lowers all the wireless speed to G speed. With that said if there is a good G wireless router you can get for cheaper than an Airport Extreme I would go that route.

I'm not familiar with your modems specific, so not much I can offer you on that.

Good luck.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

If I understand you right, the AE does not work as a modem ... just a router/switch. You still need a modem that plugs into the phone/cable line.

You don't understand him right. He is asking if he should us his current DSL modem with the AirPort Extreme or purchase a new DSL modem to go with the AirPort Extreme.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You can use the new AEBS in conjuction with your router/modem if you run it in bridge mode (ie, turning off the DHCP). I'm not sure how the dual band feature will be affected if you run the AEBS in bridge mode, but that would be my suggestion. If, for whatever reason, the dual band feature is disabled or limited while running in bridge mode, I'd suggest to either find a way to disable DHCP on your combo modem/router, or purchase a new modem that does not route. You could set up your AEBS as a router while having your Netgear as a router as well, but I think that may cause issues for your network.

Wongiranger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
London
Thanks for your contributions!

To upgrade my wifi network -- unfortunately this time Apple Inc will be forgoing my hard earned money. I fail to understand why their Airport Extreme doesn't incorporate a modem, unlike the offerings from their competitors -- Belkin, Netgear, etc.

Your feedback has persuaded me to look elsewhere:confused:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
To upgrade my wifi network -- unfortunately this time Apple Inc will be forgoing my hard earned money. I fail to understand why their Airport Extreme doesn't incorporate a modem, unlike the offerings from their competitors -- Belkin, Netgear, etc.

Your feedback has persuaded me to look elsewhere:confused:

Because in this day and age, people are usually provided with proprietary modems; Apple is not the type of company to make a dozen different configurations.

Go look at other high end routers (eg. Linksys WRT600N) and you'll see they don't have modems either.

coopermac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
UK
Though I'm not familiar with your particular Netgear modem I assume it is a b/g router too and that some of your kit is also b/g. If you want to be able to run the b/g kit and use the AEBS for n only kit the answer is simple. Keep your original network as it is and add the AEBS to it in bridge mode. Set up correctly all your b/g kit will run without lowering the n speeds for kit connected to the AEBS. All items will be visible to one another and you can use the USB connection on the AEBS to connect a printer or HDD for all to access. I have not checked out the specs and manual of the New AEBS but I don't see any reason why this would work any differently to the one it is replacing, indeed you may even be able to set up another separate b/g network should you wish.

Check out the Apple networking docs, it really is easy to set this up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.